Wiper chattering

dpok69

Dpok69@aol.com
I replaced my wiper blades and frames with a boscsh unit a couple of months aga because my drivers side wiper kept dragging and jumping (i gues they call it chattering) like it ran into a sticky substance or sumthing. The new wipers did not drag for 2 weeks, but then the drivers side acted up again.

I use rain-x on my windows, and the windows are usually fairly clean. Im thinking maybe the wiper is installed backwards on the drivers side. Cause one side is longer and the other shorter when installed onto the wiper control arm. Like this:
------ wiper
..../... control arm

Thats an exagerated drawing to illustrate. This drives me nuts in rainy weather.

Rain X

Had this on my car too. Found that the Rain x actually allowed enough of the H2O to run off the glass, that it was already too dry for the wiper blade to slide on.
I took laquer thinner and a piece of VERY FINE steel wool and polished the glass... Works great and gets ALL the sh&t off. I then cleaned the blades several wipes w/ Windex... No more problems.
Another problem could be the arms are bent and the blade is being "pushed edge first" across the glass. We had problems w/ that when I was w/ Chevrolet, on cars in the 70's. We all carried a "miniture" crescent wrench and twisted the arms to put the blades perpendicular to the glass...;) ;)

I dunno what's causing your problem but my car does the same damn thing. Not so bad they don't work but bad enough to annoy me. When I drive my TA and use the wipers I'm like damn these wipers work nicely. :D

Usually cleaning the edge of the blade with rubbimg alcohol will fix it.

I had a similar problem so I cleaned the blades real well and "rotated" them- take each blade off, flip it, and re-install. They tend to get warped in one direction from sitting. I still use the rain-x.

Oddly enough, I didn't need to rotate them back yet, so maybe they "break in" and stay that way.

Mike [:)