Wiped cams and 4.1's

NM Tom

Do the 4.1 blocks have the same issue with lifter bore alignment causing wiped cams on 3 exhaust? Has anybody had this happen with the 4.1 castings?

Do the 4.1 blocks have the same issue with lifter bore alignment causing wiped cams on 3 exhaust? Has anybody had this happen with the 4.1 castings?

They are all based off the same blueprint so they all have that problem.

Seems like since the 86/87 109 block was a totally redesigned block it would stand good reason that the older blocks did not inherit the same misalignment problem. I’m sure if they did the stage engine would have the same problem but I have never herd of it. I’m sure some of the top engine builders have placed fixtures on them and can answer for sure.

Since 1986 I have worked on hundreds of turbo Buicks and have yet to see an original engine, even with almost 200k, wipe a cam?

Certainly if Buick had screwed up lifter bore alignment, I would have come across at least one?:confused:

The few wiped cams I have seen were aftermarket and had problems for various reasons, mainly Mobil I.

There was a lot of bad cam blanks in the mid-90's that trashed many engines, not just Buicks.

Since 1986 I have worked on hundreds of turbo Buicks and have yet to see an original engine, even with almost 200k, wipe a cam?

Certainly if Buick had screwed up lifter bore alignment, I would have come across at least one?:confused:

The few wiped cams I have seen were aftermarket and had problems for various reasons, mainly Mobil I.

There was a lot of bad cam blanks in the mid-90's that trashed many engines, not just Buicks.

Ive seen 2 in the last 5 years. Both stock cams. One was stock springs:eek: . Buick did screw up the alignment and you can view it next you assemble one. Look down the #3 exhaust bore with the cam in the engine. The bore is more centered over the lobe than the others. And for the other posts about stage blocks and 109's they are the same. All based off the same print for off center engines. The 109 is not a totally redesigned block. It shares almost everything with earlier castings in the bottom end. Deck was shorter and it used different head bolts. Not much else from a performance stand point at all. The 3800 would be considered a totally new design. All new dimensions and everything else except the rod bearings. The rod bearings are the only things the 3800's could share with our weak early design.

Has anybody acually seen a wiped cam on a 4.1, regardless of cause?

The Elgin cam in my 4.1 isnt wiped yet, but it is in the process of destroying itself. I didnt have any problems with it though until the truck flipped over.

Good to see theres a few buicks in the Burque!

A.j.

The Elgin cam in my 4.1 isnt wiped yet, but it is in the process of destroying itself. I didnt have any problems with it though until the truck flipped over.

Good to see theres a few buicks in the Burque!

A.j.

Yea we got a few. I'm going back and forth on pulling the 218/218 flat cam in my new 4.1 and going roller for just a piece of mind before I install the engine.

im still running flat tappets in most of my motors just cause there cheap, the grinds are plentyful and well, i drill my lifters..... ive had very few problems.

Whats the worse that could happen if you leave it? it wipes and you have to add the roller? atleast you had fun for i dunno...... 20K plus miles maybe? gives you time to save for that pricey 800 dollar kit.

A.j.

im still running flat tappets in most of my motors just cause there cheap, the grinds are plentyful and well, i drill my lifters..... ive had very few problems.

Whats the worse that could happen if you leave it? it wipes and you have to add the roller? atleast you had fun for i dunno...... 20K plus miles maybe? gives you time to save for that pricey 800 dollar kit.

A.j.

Drill lifters?? Could you explain...

A.j.

The worse that can happen is the wipe cam material takes out the crank and bearings and your paying for a full rebuild again..:eek: For the 500.00 extra between the 2 cams I think its well worth it to go with the ROLLER!;)

Drill lifters?? Could you explain...

A .024 hole is added to each lifter face on the centerline that the lifter rides on the cam.

I noticed about a 1lb to 2lb loss in oil pressure but figured this was acceptable for the added oil on the pressure face.

The problem I encountered with this was it stirs up alot of extra oil in the lifter valley, so if your engine isnt vented as well as it should be (mine for example) it will suck oil mist, as well as increase windage. External front and rear drains is very helpful if every drop of HP is needed. The key to this is that the Oiling system be on its game, all oiling orfices should be checked and modified according to what Ruggles reccomends.

Well.... atleast this is what I follow and I havent had any problems with MY BUILT engines, the 4.1 that was forementioned to have problems was built by a buddy of mine a few years ago.

A.j.

The worse that can happen is the wipe cam material takes out the crank and bearings and your paying for a full rebuild again..:eek: For the 500.00 extra between the 2 cams I think its well worth it to go with the ROLLER!;)

Good Point,

Thats true, I have been fortunate to not have a bad cam failure.... I guess it really boils down to a matter of faith........(if your crazy or not)

I mean really you are right, a roller is going to make more power.... and give piece of mind..... for 500 more bucks......... its probably worth it.

Im just old fashioned I guess....... I still run points and use carbs - and my cellphone is big enough to need a crank to start it.

Somethings never change I suppose.

A.j.