wiped cam lobe

koch186

hi everyone. i just bought my 86 gn . i took it to a good gn mechanic locally, looked at it and i have a wiped #5
lobe . im fixing it this winter i just wanted some info of how i can fix it. just replace cam or go through hole bottom end. motor is coming out next weekend to see the amount of damage any one with some input please help. i want to motor to be to be a strong street motor. webers 206 roller cam kit any help with making the motor some what bullet proof

Sorry to hear that..Many of us have gone thru this including myself.
The motor needs to be taken completely apart and thoughly cleaned.
The oil cooler is going to be trashed, delete it or replace it. Its basically a rebuild.

ya thats whats i hear from everyone thank you. oil cooler was all ready deleted i guess thats some good news

you DO know that to help prevent that happening again.
you need to use ZDDP, EOS, or similar additive ( with higher Zinc content)
also idling is the worst thing you can do for a motor. the cam is primarily lubricated by splash
off the side clearance of the rods, so when it idles, you are not getting much oil to the cam lobes.
(cam brgs are pressure fed)

Na, you don't need to do full rebuild. Happen to me 6 months after I got mine. Simply pulled the crank, had it turned, put in new bearings and cam and then changed the oil 5 times to ensure all the metal was out. Didn't touch pistons or flush block. Put 20k on it before splitting a piston when the alky pump failed.
Oh, and of course ran zddp from then on out.

Since it's going to be out, disassemble it and clean the block, new oil pick up and check everything. You might as well get the heads inspected and maybe some light porting to compliment the new cam.