Wing cracking

RatFink

PutTheNeedleOnTheRecord!
i've looked at alot of GTA's and atleast 10 turbo ta's over the years,
Why do you all think that the TTA's wings crack, but the GTA's Formulas and TAs form the same years wings didn't crack? I had a 89 5.0 GTA 5 spd and the wing never cracked. The 5.0 was a bit modified and it had some body twisting torque, does the Turbo cars torque what make for the wing crack?? I thought thwy ere all built on the same line then shipped to PAS for finishing, then wouldn't all the wings be the same?

They were all the same from Pontiac and it was all in the luck of the draw. T-tops, hard top, 350, 305, Turbo 6, colors, options, none of it seems to matter. I had a '87 GTA hardtop with 188K miles on it. Other than the paint flaking off the wing it was in mint condition, not even a ripple in it. I had a 90 GTA hard top, less miles, and the spoiler was in bad shape on the sides. My TTA has 201K miles on it the spoiler is shot, litterally crumbling on the sides. My TTA has always been garaged and has seen rain only 6 or 7 times in its whole life. Thats all I can say from personal experience.

i've looked at alot of GTA's and atleast 10 turbo ta's over the years,
Why do you all think that the TTA's wings crack, but the GTA's Formulas and TAs form the same years wings didn't crack? I had a 89 5.0 GTA 5 spd and the wing never cracked. The 5.0 was a bit modified and it had some body twisting torque, does the Turbo cars torque what make for the wing crack?? I thought thwy ere all built on the same line then shipped to PAS for finishing, then wouldn't all the wings be the same?

All wings are the same from the assembly plant at Van Nuys, CA. There's a number of metal brackets molded inside of the wing for the clips to hold it in place. These start rusting very quickly over the years (moisture and possibly something from the rubber compound in the wing itself) and then start to expand and hence paint cracking and later the rubber will crack and shoot pieces out ....

Fiberglass is the way to go, lasts for ever and great weight saving as well