Windshield and wipers

Morden

I have a problem with my wipers hanging on the black metal shield at the bottom of the windshield. Anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks

After I use the wipers and turn them off, they don't go all the way back down. I have to lift them off the windshield and put them back below the metal strip. Each time I use them they get hung on the metal trim and can't get back to their "home" position.
Thanks

I have a problem with my wipers hanging on the black metal shield at the bottom of the windshield. Anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks

Yes, did this last Summer on the SO's Limited. I can't recall where I read about how to correct the issue, but there are several areas that need to be checked and possibly changed. It may have been the gnttype.org site.

In short, there is an adjustment under the hood on the linkage right at the motor cam pivot. You can change the 'throw' if the problem is that the wipers aren't pulled down far enough. Check this by parking them, them lifting them over where they catch.

If they drop down onto the stops with a bit of force, this adjustment is OK.

The other adjustment, which is the one I ended up doing to correct the issue, was to bend the wiper arms. This wasn't easy as you need to be careful to not break anything. Windshield is right there.

I used two adjustable wrenches on the flat of the arm and twisted it. IIRC, it was in the opposite direction that you would think. The wipers were hanging up on the clips that hold the blade. So they got twisted to make the wiper sit more upright.

Here it is:

Windshield Wiper Valet Service

At this point I figured it would be better to find the article. So not to steer you in the wrong direction.

The twisting worked. The arms now always park. And I followed up by using as little of the park position adjustment as possible. This is to prevent wear and tear on the wiper motor gear train.

Don't forget to keep the windshield a bit wet with water while doing this. It makes the wipers move easier.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Mine do the same thing. Now I don't drive if there's any chance of rain. and for that small percentage of it raining while out I use rain x.