Window tint?

Check with your local law enforcement regarding how dark. Make sure to use a good installer with lifetime warranty and enjoy.

Mine are really dark, bought the car like that and not sure of the percentage. Im always on the lookout for the cops when I do see one I roll down the windows. I know I probably get busted sooner or later.

If you like window tint, then do it! I think the tint on a black car looks good. Just check with your local regulations and have a pro do it. Put mine on myself and it looked good for a couple years, but now is starting to look like crap. Starting to bubble and peel. Going with a pro and a little darker when It starts looking bad enough and I peel it off.

35% all around is 50 state legal.

No state allows you to tint the entire windshield.

I run a tint operation for major, nationwide dealer group.

Regarding "lifetime warranties", Mom and Pop shops open up and then quickly go out of business everyday.

If you never want to worry about your tint again, go with a provider you can be sure won't disappear in a couple of years. Many places warranty the products they sell for lifetime, but if they're gone when you go looking for help, well, it's YOU that gets to live with that purple, peeling, or faded tint.

I'm jus' sayin'.

Attachments

• image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 101
35% all around is 50 state legal...

Not true in Iowa. Anything goes for the rear windows but the two front door windows are limited to 70% minimum transparency. They don't even make aluminized tint over 50% from what I understand. I had 50% tint on previous cars and I have the tint tickets to prove they still don't fly. I run 35% on the sides and 2% on the rears in every car now. I figure if I'm getting a ticket anyway, it might as well look good and perform well. You can get a doctor's note to allow you 35% but that won't stop them from pulling you over; just from getting a ticket. Iowa is tied with one other state I can't remember right now for the strictest tint laws. You can ride a motorcycle here however without a helmet...

Just wanted to see how many of you on here went ahead and got the windows tinted on your cars. I think that my 86gn would look good with 20% tint but others have told me that classic cars shouldnt be tinted. Any advice?

Yes, tint it!

Not true in Iowa. Anything goes for the rear windows but the two front door windows are limited to 70% minimum transparency. They don't even make aluminized tint over 50% from what I understand. I had 50% tint on previous cars and I have the tint tickets to prove they still don't fly. I run 35% on the sides and 2% on the rears in every car now. I figure if I'm getting a ticket anyway, it might as well look good and perform well. You can get a doctor's note to allow you 35% but that won't stop them from pulling you over; just from getting a ticket. Iowa is tied with one other state I can't remember right now for the strictest tint laws. You can ride a motorcycle here however without a helmet...

Is Iowa really considered a state?? :D;) - JK.

35% won't get you pulled over unless your doing something stupid. That 2% stuff, however, will pique a policeman's interest every single time.
Try a 35/20 combo and you'll seldom, if ever, have a problem with the PoPo.

Iowa sucks.. i don't know what a window tint ticket would cost there, but i had to pay $160 for a cracked windshield ticket i got in my Camaro north of Montezuma on I80 in June..

Tint make the TR's look mean no matter the % you go with its all about what you want and yes can you live with it day, night, law, etc. and remember no tint is permanent rear defrost or not, if you dont like it or get harrassed peel off then if any glue residue that is left on glass use soapy warm water in a spray bottle and use a real fine steel wool scrub with elbow grease and clean away. FYI how to think painters get overspray off the glass without sctratch the glass. My car has 20% on door glass and rear windshield, 5% on quarter glass, 5% visor on windshield (if you look at the top of windshield there is a little reference line with some letters that you can put tint to tht point for on which it wont be a prob. for the law) Tint that beast!

By all means tint'em if you got'em. :D I can sort of agree that classic cars shouldn't be tinted if they are styled as a restoration but that's because I like period correct builds. Tint wasn't available in the 50's and 60's so resto's shouldn't have it. Modified or hot rods are different though and you have to judge each car on it's own merit. As far as our Bricks go though, tint was getting big in the 80's and looks great on any G-body. Totally period correct and acceptable for anything but a concours car.

I think it looks great tinted out but in CA you are not allowed to tint your side windows at all.

I think it looks great tinted out but in CA you are not allowed to tint your side windows at all.

I gotta call B.S.

California DMV regulations

V C Section 26708 Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver x2019 s View
Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver’s View

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:
(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.
(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.
(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun’s harmful ultraviolet A rays.

Source : http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

I gotta call B.S.

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:
(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.
(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun’s harmful ultraviolet A rays.

Interesting. Wife got pulled over in her Yukon for tint. It wasn't dark at all, barely a shade to it but officer told her it's illegal to have anything on the side windows.

Interesting. Wife got pulled over in her Yukon for tint. It wasn't dark at all, barely a shade to it but officer told her it's illegal to have anything on the side windows.

I have had a few tint tickets on a few different cars i have had throughout the years, and was always told its illegal to have ANY tint on the front side windows, even by my buddy that would sign them off for me back in the day.

I gotta call B.S.

I think there is the problem colorless i have never seen colorless tint, it all has some shade to it