window regulator?

stock87

I just got back from the buick dealer and they told me I need a regulator for the driver side window. The switch works for the passenger side and the switch puts the driver' s window down but it won't go back up. They said the motor is fine and they think it is binding inside. Does this sound right or am I going on a wild goose chase for a regulator? Thanks for the advise... any other sources for the regulator?

I would do some more diagnosing. They other day my pass side switch went out. It would only roll window down, but not up.The sell new switches from HELP, or you could borrow a friends one. Or probe the contacts with a meter or test light to see if it's actually getting power.

Stay away from the dealers. They don't know anything about windows. My parents brought their Regal ('92) to them and all they could do was screw it up more. They couldn't get the windows to stay in the track without tightening the tracks and everything up real tight. Then it just wore out all of the parts. I had no idea what I was doing, but in a couple of hours, I had both windows working, but with worn parts, it didn't last. Then I brought my girlfriends car in for window work, and they gave me the old"Bring it back when it's worse," because they couldn't figure out how to fix it.
Go to an auto glass place. They will do it right, and you won't have to constantly go back and keep paying.

Brian

thanks for all the help guys, I switched the switch and voila! it works like new!

How much did you pay for them to diagnose the problem incorrectly? If I were you, I'd talk to the service manager and tell him that you want to be refunded because either the guy that looked at your car is trying to scr......ah, rip you off, or is extremely incompetent. If he doesn't have enough brains to check the switch before tearing the door apart, he should only be allowed to use those plastic tools that you give 3 year olds. Their mentality is sometimes to just keep throwing parts at it until it is fixed. After all, the customer will pay if they want their car back. Then they'll tell you that they had to replace the switch, because that is what caused the regulator to go. LOSERS!

Sorry, at least that is what I would do if it was the dealer near me. They are morons!.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
Wagon.........tell us how you really feel. :D

I would but we have this code of conduct thing, and I'm afraid I would be banned for use of foul language. No, I know I would, that is how strongly I feel about dealers and their poor customer service/poor auto service. Now, I know there are probably plenty of good ones out there. I just haven't found one. Maybe I don't use the dealers enough, but I'm not that rich. I feel that I would rather buy a book and the tools to do it myself. I can even buy the extra parts while I am learning to do it, and still come out on the cheaper end, and I know it will be done right, and in the end, I have new tools. Woohoo! Bonus.

Brian