Window motor replacement made easy!

hesermon

When my drivers side window motor finally quit after needing my "help" for the past year or so I decided it was time to get it out of there. I was fully prepared for a day long project but much to my surprise it was actually not bad at all. I even did it with the window all the way down (where it happened to be stuck). After removing the door panel, on the inner door frame there are small dimples over two of the three bolts that hold the motor to the regulator. The third bolt is behind the round flat raised area that is in a triangular pattern from the other two. Using the dimples as a guide, use a 3/4 hole saw to drill through the inner door frame. This will expose the bolt heads. Remove the bolts and the wiring harness and the motor will come right out through the access area. Install new motor, button everything back up and I was done in about 30 minutes!

Just wondering if the GM guys thought ahead enough to put "dimples" to mark the bolts, why not just put holes over them to begin with? This only applies to 84-87, prior G-bodies required removing the regulator (major PITA)

I found this same method several years ago. It sure speeds up the process quite a bit.

Replacement window motors

Hey Guys:
Where can I get new window motors or rebuilt ones for my GN

When my drivers side window motor finally quit after needing my "help" for the past year or so I decided it was time to get it out of there. I was fully prepared for a day long project but much to my surprise it was actually not bad at all. I even did it with the window all the way down (where it happened to be stuck). After removing the door panel, on the inner door frame there are small dimples over two of the three bolts that hold the motor to the regulator. The third bolt is behind the round flat raised area that is in a triangular pattern from the other two. Using the dimples as a guide, use a 3/4 hole saw to drill through the inner door frame. This will expose the bolt heads. Remove the bolts and the wiring harness and the motor will come right out through the access area. Install new motor, button everything back up and I was done in about 30 minutes!

Just wondering if the GM guys thought ahead enough to put "dimples" to mark the bolts, why not just put holes over them to begin with? This only applies to 84-87, prior G-bodies required removing the regulator (major PITA)

Does this make them any faster. Mine still work and it takes a few seconds to go up or down. No where near a new power window speed.

for more speed, i think there is a power window motor that has more power that can be swapped right in. i'm thinking it was for a 78-79 Malibu.
also, check all the wiring- especially the ground.