wind noise

kneeshurt

my 87 gn has all its orginal weatherstriping still in decent shape soft but some cracks here and there lots of windnoise around windows and ttops. before i spend lots of money and time is it possible to get this 24 year old car free of windnoise or should i just turn the radio up. question is does anyone have a gn with no windnoise do they really exist. i have also heard that there some that don't leak oil but thats another post :smile:

Well,you gotta figure that when these cars were new,people would have really had an issue with that. So,therefore it must not have existed.

If your seals are original,replacement is most likely necessary.

But first,do the t-tops fit tightly? There is an adjustment on them. Pretty easy to do.

A careful inspection of the seals and the areas they are attached may give you the order of magnitude of the FIX required. If your car has been in a wet climate there is a good possibility of the supporting metals to be rusted. The GM seals are not cheap and aftermarket ones do not do the job or last any period of time. There have been several threads on this topic. Good Luck. Mine leak due to shrinkage at the seal mounted to the T-top itself. Something I can presently live with.

Well,you gotta figure that when these cars were new,people would have really had an issue with that. So,therefore it must not have existed.

If your seals are original,replacement is most likely necessary.

But first,do the t-tops fit tightly? There is an adjustment on them. Pretty easy to do.
I sold these cars new from 84 through the end of the body style in 87, believe me they did have a problem. The single biggest warranty issue that brought any T-top G-body in was wind noise. GM even published a bulletin that became known as the "dollar test". Techs were told to use a dollar bill when adjusting the windows, tops, and seals to get the "right amount of tension". Place the bill between the window and seal with the door closed, if you could pull the bill out with almost no effort or too much effort, keep adjusting. If you could remove it with a "gentle amount of effort", everything was adjusted properly. Most cars came off the truck with wind noise especially at high way speed, they were a PITA!