WinALDL

Originally posted by scottyb
Well, I have been reading for years now that high .700's is a decent "target" for O2's. My setup generally has yielded O2's in the low 800's on the scanmaster. On Winaldl, these same frames are logged in the HIGH .900's.

Either I have been running unusually rich and can lean it up considerably, OR WinALDL is wrong and attempts to get the O2's down will result in a dangerous lean condition.

Also, can different chips change the conversions?

Like I said, go cruise through the GN T-Type mailing list archives, this issue (with good commentary provided by Ken M) is well documented there, probably 3 or 4 years ago (maybe even longer). TurboLink gives the correct result, and is the standard that most people refer to. DirectScan and (I'm pretty sure) the ScanMaster also use the same basis and give the same numbers. Any other scantool will read high, and you'll have to adjust your target accordingly.

John

I'm curious why they read high unless the data used in the ALDL stream is adjusted from the value used in the code for the fuel control. Maybe they are....

I wouldn't expect two NB O2's to give then same results within 100mV. They might, but I certainly wouldn't tune by it.

Originally posted by scottyb
The logs import pretty nicely into Access and Excel.

WOW! you weren't joking. That's much better.:D

Now, how do we get this thing to update faster?

Originally posted by JDEstill
Like I said, go cruise through the GN T-Type mailing list archives, this issue (with good commentary provided by Ken M) is well documented there, probably 3 or 4 years ago (maybe even longer). TurboLink gives the correct result, and is the standard that most people refer to. DirectScan and (I'm pretty sure) the ScanMaster also use the same basis and give the same numbers. Any other scantool will read high, and you'll have to adjust your target accordingly.

John

John, you da MAN!
I found it there, and you are correct. The scantools we typically use and refer to here do calculate O2's different. Ken posted the formula and it matched up perfectly to the numbers I have collected since last weekend. I did not find any info in KR, but I plan to convert it also, as I'd prefer to use the scanmaster reading, and we're not talking a significant difference either.

If you multiply the sensor O2 by .882, it will give you the figure commonly referred to here and on other forums. Ken mentioned in the same post that O2's greater than .850 can cause rich knock.

If you multiply the sensor KR by 1.31, it will give you the KR you would see on scanmaster. Again, I don't know for sure which one is right, but I'd rather use the higher number.

Originally posted by terryk
So are we saying GM is wrong about their own stuff?
No, I'm saying that we may be all wrong! I guess somewhere along the line, someone used a different reference and it "stuck". As long as we continue to use the same standard, then it's really no biggie.

Then again, GM has been wrong before. ;) They made the Aztec, didn't they? :D

Originally posted by BLACK Ttype
Is there any way to increase the update speed?

No. It only captures data that the ECM sends to the ALDL port. The only way to get faster data speed is with Directscan.