Win ALDL and USB

kjhansen

OK, I've used WIN ALDL on my '87 TR back when I had it, and it worked well for what it is (free). I had TurboLink, which worked better, but I don't have Turbolink any more as I sold it with my car--and I gave away my WIN ALDL cable. But I still have the instructions and leftover parts, so I made another WIN ALDL cable... except I got rid of my old Win98 laptop and bought a new Vista laptop last year... guess what? No DB9 serial ports. Just USB. So... what to do? The WIN ALDL cable ends in a male DB9 serial connector, my Serial to USB adapter serial end is also male.... Don't know if a two-female connector will work to connect the WIN ALDL cable to the USB adapter serial end (will it relay the signals to the right connections at the USB end?), don't know if it will run from a USB port if the adapter DOES work... Don't know if it'll blow up the car's computer... Well, OK probably won't do that... Anybody have any experience with this?
Keith

You could go to radio shack and get a gender changer. If they don't have it, ebay has them for a buck.

I am using the win aldl with vista laptop. I made the cable per instructions and bought an adapter to go from the old connector to usb. works good.I can dig up the the info if you need it.