Wilwood front brakes - early lock up

boostedLC2

I installed a Wilwood front brake kit on my car over the Winter. Just got the car out and took it for a test drive. The fronts are now locking up on moderately hard stops. I'm assuming this is due to more piston area with the Wilwood calipers. Has anyone else experienced this and how was it fixed?

I'd rather not put a proportioning valve on the fronts since all that does is reduce the available pressure. I'm thinking of putting the S10 wheel cylinders on the back to increase the effectiveness of the rears to help balance the fronts.

Thanks,

Jim

You want the fronts to lock first.

If the rears lock first, you're going to spin.

Originally posted by boostedLC2
I installed a Wilwood front brake kit on my car over the Winter. Just got the car out and took it for a test drive. The fronts are now locking up on moderately hard stops. I'm assuming this is due to more piston area with the Wilwood calipers. Has anyone else experienced this and how was it fixed?

I'd rather not put a proportioning valve on the fronts since all that does is reduce the available pressure. I'm thinking of putting the S10 wheel cylinders on the back to increase the effectiveness of the rears to help balance the fronts.

What size front tire are you running?. How old are they?.

Getting the rear to lock up earlier, might just get you to where, they both lock at the same time, and in a panic situation put the car in an unrecoverable condition.

Are the rears, properly bled, and adjusted?.

Whcih grade of Willwood pads are you running, the softer the faster they react. A harder pad will fade less, and take an instant longer to get hot enough to generate max braking.

S-10 WC isn't a bad idea, just mentioning some other things, and options.