Will These Tires / Rims Work

turbotgirl

I had a questions about my son's Car. Can anyone help me with this. Ok he has a 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Classic. This is a G-body like a regal/monte carlo. Yes it is the RWD from that year. He was wanting to get new rims and tires for it. We have looked for the last couple days and here is what we are thinking of getting.

Centerline Telstar 15X7 on all four
Fronts: 3.5in back spacing 4.75in bolt pattern
Rear: 4in back spacng 4.75in bolt pattern

Yokohama Avid S/T
Front - 235/60/15
Rear- 245/60/15

The main question is will they fit without rubbing. My guess would be yes but this is the first set of tires and rims we are getting for this He is only 17. Is there anything out there that is better then what we have picked for about the same cost $800. This car is driven everyday. In the snow rain whatever. Thanks alot guys. Maybe one day he will have a GN or a T-Type but this will work for now. lol

Yes they might work. You might however, have a problem with the 235s on the front. Some cars are fine, others the tire seems to rub the top of the fenderwell on hard dips. The inner fender can take a fairly tall tire, but not tall AND wide. For example, I had 225/60s that fit fine. 225/70s that filled the fender nicely and fit with no rubbing. Now my 235/60s' outer edge rubs the inner fender line on a sharp dip. That extra little bit of width is what did it. If you look up into the inner fender liner, you can see the curved contour and see what I am talking about. I am betting that if my 3.5" backspace was 3.75, I might not have that problem.

So you think if he went with 225/60/15 in the front he would be ok. We are probably going to be ordering these this week and we am really excited. It his first step to making his car look nice. We are hoping to paint it sometime next year maybe in the spring. The last thing he wants do is but a LT1 motor in it. I hear they fit real nice and have alot more power. He thinks that it make be good race between us. We all know that I better win each and every time is he wants to stay living a home rent free. LOL Well thanks anyway guys.

I'd go with a 3 and 1/2 inch backspace all the way around. I'd also put 15X7 up front and 15X8 in the back. That way if you start to make a ton of HP you can put an even bigger tire on the back. I have a friend who is running 295-50-15 on the back on a 15X8 rim with a 3 and 1/2 inch backspace and the tires do not rub.