Will the trans governor effect shift points?

kjhansen

I've posted several times about my messed up transmission (I now have an Olds 30G in place of the original BRF). The original is long gone, so I'm trying to make do. The 30G shifts WAY late into 2nd, 3rd and overdrive during around-town (low-to-part throttle) driving (25mph to 2nd, 35 to 3rd, and 50 to OD). Assuming that the governor is the stock 30G one, will I be able to lower those shift speeds if I replace it with the governor (or at least the springs and weights) from a BRF trans?
Keith

If the governors are compatable. The BRF governor is the control for WOT shifts.

Just changing the governor will not get you where you want to be. The governors and valve bodies are a matched pair. If you go with a BRF governor with the OG valve body, I think your shift points will be even higher. The BRF governor has lighter weights. Your shift points look just a little high. Did you try adjusting your T.V.cable to see if you can lower the shift points? You will have to loosen the adjustment a few clicks.

Actually at WOT the engine is revving over 5400 (lots of little red lines pop up) sometimes according to the little tach in the dash (it used to shift at 5100-5200 or so). It feels like I'm hitting the rev limiter, in fact. Given the info in the last post I wonder if I don't still have the BRF valve body and the BRF governor in the 30G case. In other words, WOT shift points seem a little high too. On the other hand, there is NO pink paint or other identifying BR marks on the VB.
I can't loosen the TV cable any more. It's as far as it goes. And while the 1-2 shift is way to hard, the 2-3 shift flares and if you accelarate part throttle in 3rd, it slips. Needs MORE line pressure on the 2-3 shift, not less. But it doesn't flare or slip at WOT. Nice firm, but not hard, shifts at WOT--just late.
Screwed up trans.
Keith

You need to get a BRF vb or a similar hp one and use the governor for the vb you are putting in. The OG will not suffice at all here. You cant just change the governor to correct the shift points.

I have a BRF valve body if you need one.

I would recommend you also get a good valve body kit, Chris at CkPerformance has one.

This might fix your trans if you haven't already hurt the direct clutches.

jakeshoe@yahoo.com

Well, I guess I'm going to have to go in again and remove the current vb to see if it's my old one for sure. Hard to say without pulling it. It doesn't shift right, but according to one source the BRF valve body put in a 30G will shift at higher road speeds/RPMs, so it could be a BRF or similar vb already. I think the clutches in 3rd gear are already damaged. I've had the pan off about 5 times in the past 2 months and there has been some black material settled in the bottom of the pan. The instructions on removing the vb are on gnttype.org, but is there anything else I should know? Will any springs jump out when I remove things, etc.?
The main thing I'm pissed about is that my old vb had the Stageright transbrake in it.
Keith

There are 3 check balls in the valve body that will fall out if you flip the valve body over. Nothing to worry about. It's pretty obvious where they go. The major differences between the OG and the BRF is the valve body, the governor, and the spacer plate. Without all three in your trans, your going to have shift problems.

Sounds Like You Might Have OG Valve Body With a BRF/ Excessively Trimmed
Gov. I suggest Adjusting TV Cable -PROPERLY- Then Do A Line Pressure Test,
Without Doing Both of These First You May Unintensionly Hurt Unit.
KLM.

Sorry To Hear That, But Don`t Sweat it, Poor Thing Had A Few Issues -With
A Little Work and The Knowledge Base This Board Has To Offer You`ll Have That Tranny Ready For War In No Time. BELIEVE IT.
take care. KLM