Will pay for help near Tulsa, OK!

TulsaGN13

On Monday my car was driving great. I had just installed a te-61 and it was running a little rich but other than that it was idling great and pulling hard. I installed the turbo on Sunday, so I had been driving it for 24 hours with no problems.

Monday afternoon it died when I was turning onto the highway and would not restart. Tuesday morning I found that the problem was a broken ecm wire. I fixed that and the car has run like absolute garbage since then. It idles rough, stumbles and backfires on acceleration and has trouble building boost.

I am not getting any MAL codes and I can't find any vacuum leaks. I am attaching a powerlogger file that shows how it was running yesterday. I have a wideband O2 ordered and in the mail. This is my daily driver and my only transportation.

If anyone is in the area and able to help, I will pay you for your time!

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• op temp.dat
    239.5 KB · Views: 56
You may have just blown the ECM fuse. Under the dash above the drivers left foot. (assuming the driver has a left foot. If he/she doesn't have a left foot then the fuse box is located uhmmm.....I really don't know where it would be theno_O:D) Check that first. Keep us posted.

I use to live in Tulsa back in 1980-82. Managed an autoparts store back then while going to college.

Wait I re-read the post sorry. Sounds like it might be an ignition module issue, or maybe even the ECM. Anyone local to you to try swapping each?

Im in OKC not too far from you but still on the learning curve with the GN .....Try Dick Walker in OKC if thats not too far away for you. Might check out okbuicks.com and see if there is any contact info for anybody in your area...I think Philbuilt65 is in Tulsa. Look him up on this site...

JK​

Im in OKC not too far from you but still on the learning curve with the GN .....Try Dick Walker in OKC if thats not too far away for you. Might check out okbuicks.com and see if there is any contact info for anybody in your area...I think Philbuilt65 is in Tulsa. Look him up on this site...​
JK​

Thanks. I found Dick Walker's email on okbuicks,com and sent him a message. Either way it's cool to see how many Okies own turbobuicks:D

If I remeber right Philbuilt is is Tulsa and may be able to help you out.:) PM him on the board and if you need his numbe PM me.;)

I changed out plugs last night and all of them looked the same except number 5. It had fuel on it. My question is should I be looking at the ignition module or coil pack? I already tried swapping out a new wire it it didn't change anything.

I have attached a photo. All the plugs looked like the one on the left except number 5. Number 5 is the plug on the right in the photo.

Attachments

• plugs.jpg
    plugs.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 72
I just pulled plug wires one at a time with the engine running. There was a change in engine rpm on all of them except 5. However, when I cranked on it with the plug wire and plug out against the valve cover it appeared to have good spark. Maybe it is just not enough spark? Any thoughts?

You might ought to do a quick compression check and see what sort of variation you see....

+1 for Dick Walker. I bought my current GN from him. He's a top-notch guy, and was extremely patient with all the questions I had. He's very knowledgeable and has many contacts in the Buick community.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I have it narrowed down to a bad number 5 injector. I am just trying to get a hold of a 60lb mototron to swap out.

Thanks for all the help on this one! I finally found an amazing shop in Tulsa that had my more diagnostic tools at their disposal than I did. I am proud to say that I wasn't off by much. They brought me back into the shop and showed me the spray on the number 5 injector. It looked great and wasn't leaking. Then they started chasing wires and found a bad wire going to the number 5 injector. So, at least I was right about it being a problem with that injector.

The shop name is Creitz Automotive. It formerly belonged to Bob Creitz, the "Engine Wizard" and drag racing hall of famer. He passed away last year, but his shop is doing him proud. I could not have been more impressed with their service and price.

The only reason I found them is because my buddy Matt, a friend of 15 years and a 89 TTA owner, pulled into their shop parking lot to turn around and found himself nose to nose with an 87 GN they were working on. He knew of my car issues and called me from their parking lot after talking to the current manager. These guys have a great reputation and serious street cred when it comes to high performance engines of all types, including turbo Buicks. However, they could definitely use some PR help, because I didn't even know they existed.

Thanks for the help as always!
Bill

Good shops often have all the business they can handle word of mouth so they dont have to advertise.