Will I notice a difference with drag lites

Momar

I ran a 13.5 @97.9xmph. Would I see a noticable difference by putting on the drag lites with the same tires compared to the steel gn wheels. I plan to put them on next time I go back home(at school now). I have noticed that there is a very noticable difference in weight.

Ben

Not really, except for the clicking. They click when you go around corners. Don't know why, but when the clicking gets louder your lug nuts are loose ;).

Jim

I dont know that I will be running them on the street.

Never heard of the clicking before. Thats wierd.

i have the draglites, very very light. they will most likely make a very small difference. But i will also not recommend them because of the clicking, it driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!

I already have them, I was just wondering if I could expect to see a difference when I put them on. I will be using them for my track tires, so I wont have to deal with the clicking on the street.

Ben

What the heck is the deal with the clicking? Didn't realize this was that common a problem with draglites. I was considering buying a set but something like that would probably grate on my nerves.

The only think I could think is maybe because the lugnuts are straight shanks instead of the acorn style used on factory rims. I dont really know, and havent heard the noise yet. I may soon since I will mounting mine though.

Ben

Accelerating quickly is all about power-to-weight ratio. The lighter your car is, the easier it is to accelerate it to any given speed. If your Draglites are part of a conscienciously applied program of oral hygene and regular dental checkups..(oh, sorry- that's another trip). If you are taking the heavy stuff(spare, jack, 1200 watt amp) out of the trunk, and installing aluminum(bumper reinforcement, driveshaft, brakedrums, etc.) and fiberglass(hood, trunklid) wherever possible: you'll notice a difference in your times. You've got to balance your survivability on the street, with how light you want to be though. There are aluminum bumper mounts, and fiberglass bumpers out there that weight next to nothing- BUT, that's how much energy they absorb too!! :cool:

rodman99999 said:
Accelerating quickly is all about power-to-weight ratio. The lighter your car is, the easier it is to accelerate it to any given speed. If your Draglites are part of a conscienciously applied program of oral hygene and regular dental checkups..(oh, sorry- that's another trip). If you are taking the heavy stuff(spare, jack, 1200 watt amp) out of the trunk, and installing aluminum(bumper reinforcement, driveshaft, brakedrums, etc.) and fiberglass(hood, trunklid) wherever possible: you'll notice a difference in your times. You've got to balance your survivability on the street, with how light you want to be though. There are aluminum bumper mounts, and fiberglass bumpers out there that weight next to nothing- BUT, that's how much energy they absorb too!! :cool:

True. Rotational mass is supposed to make more of a difference than normal weight. I know of a guy that gained about 3 tenths from going from a heavy 17" aluminum wheel to a draglite. I dont know how much of that is from tires and how much is from weight, but just wondered if anyone had any documented results going from the heavy steel wheels to draglites or the such. I guess I will test it out myself.

Thanks

Ben

WTF?? Clicking Draglites??? :confused: :confused:

...time to put a torque wrench on those lugs, I think. Or make sure you've got the proper diameter, thread, and shank length on those lugs. No WAY should they be clicking, unless they're doing something stupid like hitting the fender lip or the tie rod.

trust me, they all click......i had pro stars, and now draglites, all tourqued to proper spec, not hitting anything and they click.....been a huge complaint for a while with their rims. However, it doesnt bother me enough to take them off as i love their looks.

QuickWrench said:
WTF?? Clicking Draglites??? :confused: :confused:

...time to put a torque wrench on those lugs, I think. Or make sure you've got the proper diameter, thread, and shank length on those lugs. No WAY should they be clicking, unless they're doing something stupid like hitting the fender lip or the tie rod.

I've got all the right stuff, and I do use a torque wrench to tighten them. They just click. And the lugs seem to loosen up over time. When the clicking gets louder, then they've loosened up. I've just sort of accepted it without really questioning it.

Jim

84gnguy said:
My 87 GN has Draglites...no clicking here.

It's pretty subtle but definitely there. Cruising at low speeds with the tops out and the windows down, radio off, I can hear them click when cornering. At higher speeds other noise drowns it out.

Jim