will a non-BRF trans hold up??

twizz

I'm going to try to make a long story short, but it may not work.

before i start: 86 GN, hotwired 8k mile stock fuel pump, adj fpr, adj wastegate, k&n, and a lil work to the rear.

I recently pulled my stock transmission due to very excessive slippage during the 2-3 shift that brake fluid could no longer keep under control. A friend gave me a 2004r from a monte ss that had undergone a several hundred dollar build from a very well known and respected local transmission shop, and i put that in my car in place of my stock trans, and sold the stock trans.

About a week and a half ago, while taking a quick top-end blast down interstate 95 in philadelphia on the way to a race spot, my driveshaft failed at approx 115 mph (3000rpm in overdrive), and twisted my transmission, breaking the bellhousing. Luckily, there was no damage other than the exhaust being tore down, girdles ripped out of the rear, and broken driveshaft (it split in two) and trans. This was my first ever driveshaft incident, and i must say it scared the living hell out of me, but I know i'm lucky to be alive.

I work on my car on a VERY tight budget, and spending 700+ for a tranny is not feasible. The trans in my car needs to go to the junkyard, and I need a new one. With the mods i have sitting on the shelf waiting to go in, I expect mid 12's, but have plans to go a little faster.

so let me get to the question:

Can I have a non-BRF 2004r built to handle the torque of a GN, and will it work properly?? Do I have any other alternatives for transmissions?? OD isn't exactly a necessity, but would be nice. I'm trying to be as budget minded as possible.

If you have a BRF core that is junk, then make sure you remove the valve body, governor, servo, internal harness and plastic through case plug and have those pieces installed into any 84-up TH2004r case. Those are the critical pieces that are unique to a Turbo Regal. The transmissions on these cars are the one piece that you cant do on a budget. Most of us have atleast $1500-$2000 into our transmissions. Skimping usually only makes things worse. Ask Ryan from Tom's River about how much he had wrapped up in those $600 rebuilds from Countywide Transmissions.

if the monte ss came with an ho motor and the code is cz or cq itll work just as good if not better than an brf or bq .just unstall the wiring from the gn trans and the third pressure switch and you r done.were you going to passyunk to have some fun?www.ckperformance.com sold at all ben pillas in phila and south jersey.

Originally posted by chris718
if the monte ss came with an ho motor and the code is cz or cq itll work just as good if not better than an brf or bq .

How so? What's better in them?

Stronger? Lighter? Exotic alloys?

An SS w/a HO motor was a still a slug...especially compared to a TR...why would GM waste a better transmission in them?

Please explain.

TIA!!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by GNVAIR
If you have a BRF core that is junk, then make sure you remove the valve body, governor, servo, internal harness and plastic through case plug and have those pieces installed into any 84-up TH2004r case. Those are the critical pieces that are unique to a Turbo Regal. The transmissions on these cars are the one piece that you cant do on a budget. Most of us have atleast $1500-$2000 into our transmissions. Skimping usually only makes things worse. Ask Ryan from Tom's River about how much he had wrapped up in those $600 rebuilds from Countywide Transmissions.

i'll assume you're speaking of ryan from the lower level crew. yea, I know him, we only got one run off, and i was on radials and he was on drag radials. can't wait for another shot. He was always complaining about his transmission.

I have the same question about a cq or cz trans, what parts are needed.

I don't have a junk BRF trans, the trans that I broke was not a brf, and I have every intention of throwing it in the dumpster.

as far as my convertor, I have a stock D5, I looked at the D6 I got with my trans, and that too made a trip to the trash. Looks like it'll be some serious time before the car has a trans again.

I agree with both above..........

You have 2 of the best choices for these car already and to go a different route would not be benificial and no less costly. To do what you want the car to and do it on your budget is not really possible, as mentioned above it will cost yyou more time, money and trouble if you skimp now, doing it once and doing it right is always your best bet. Also with theSS trans as Chris said it is as good as the GN and I would not send it to the junk yard as the vb & gov. are worth money if nothing else to help fund your project.

PS. glad to hear your still alive. :D

CZ and BR are both good as for one being better than the other I think is a matter of opinion though, main diffs are shift and kick down points and depending on you app., setup and preferance would determine which one would be tter than the other.

PTS,

so you're saying that I can use a CZ trans, and it will handle the tq of a turbo car?? If thats the case, what do I need to do (or tell the tranny shop to do) so that it shifts properly @ 5200rpms?? My current CZ trans (now broken) had trouble shifting properly, but that may have had to do with the tv. I just know that I hated that my car did not shift properly at full throttle.

On the other hand, I could get my badly slipping BRF trans back for 150-200. Would this be a better route?? Can I get a rebuild cheaply enough to make this worth while?

heh, i shouldn't have posted what i can get it back for. just curious, what does a BRF core go for?? no convertor, trans works, but slips 2-3 bad.

Yes the cz can do just as well as the br, yours may have had other issues that caused you not to like it, don't know what was done to it. Yes it can be set to shift where you want it. Any trannie properly calibrated can do what the br can it's just easier and cheaper to start with the cz or br from the get go. As for your broken case though you will need a core case to make it live again.

As for "Can I get a rebuild cheaply enough to make this worth while?" you get what you pay for, and a stock rebuild won't hold up.

Usually you can find BRF cores with similar problems mentioned for $400-$450.

Pickup only of course. :)

PTS, I want to say thanks for all of the help. All of your info has been nothing but educational. Transmissions are one of the few things I have yet to understand in depth, and you have been much help to that.

You mention that I need to get a new case to replace my broken one. Is it possible to pull the internals from my broken case and put it into a good case?? Or is this another one of those things that isn't worth the time.

Another question if you don't mind me picking your brain. Say I get my old BRF trans back, which was stock, but slips (like i haven't mentioned that before). What parts do i need to order from PTS to make that trans work?? I have a friend that could handle the labor of doing my trans, but I wasn't aware that all of the needed 'go fast' parts were available off the shelf.

Originally posted by blackbuick87
Make sure you get the right convertor, a convertor from a MonteSS will make your car a dog

The Monte SS convertor is the same D5 convertor. I am running the stock convertor and CZF tranny that my Monte SS came with. Trust me, it is far from a dog. Dont be misinformed.
As far as what I had to do on my turbo conversion on the Monte SS to get the trans to shift correctly.......thats another story.
My car was bone stock with 44k miles on it. I bought it from the original 68 year old female owner. The car was never abused and ofcourse never raced. The trans shifted fine with the 305 but with the mild turbo Buick engine, the shifts flared and felt very mushy/irratic.
First I installed a BRF servo
Then Installed the larger TV boost valves from PTS
I then installed a Art Carr VB kit.
I replaced the governor gear with an orange one so my speedo would read correctly.
Now it shifts nice and firm and the upshifts are where they are supposed to be. I still have to install the 3rd gear pressure switch and wiring since I only have lock up in 4th. But it worked fine for me.