Wiggins Clamp on the TB?

turbodave231

Seems I have developed a problem keeping the transistion hose from the IC pipe to the TB from blowing off.

If I clamp the hose down tight enough to keep the hose from blowing off, My throttle blade hangs open a tad and I have a high idle. If I back the clamp off, the hose blows off. I now have a nice out-dent in my hood from the IC pipe. :mad: I've tried the hairspray trick too.

Anybody run into this? Time for a Wiggins Clamp?

Oh yeah, I'm using an Accutrash 90mm TB. I see they now offer their TBs already machined for the Wiggins. I'll make my own TB before I buy another Accutrash.

Dave, do you have any links or struts to help take the force of the boost trying to blow the pipe off, aside from the rubber hose? 30 psi boost on a 3" pipe translates into 212 lbs of force trying to pull the uppipe off of the throttle body. Make up some kind of link or strap from the throttle body to the hose clamp on the up pipe so that link takes the 212 lbs and the hose just has to seal instead of seal while being streeeeeaaaaatched :). Even something as simple as a flat strap 1/2" wide by maybe 0.03" thick, with one end bent at 90 degrees with a hole so it goes under the nut holding the throttle body to the plenum, and the other end hooked under the up pipe clamp and then bent into a J so it can't slide, should take care of it. Use two, of course, one on each throttle body nut, and put a washer between strap and nut to help keep that hole from tearing. I've seen lots fancier ones, even using little rod ends connecting to tabs welded to the up pipe, but this should get you started. Oh, and of course if you are running a 4" pipe and 30 psi that is about 375 lbs pulling the pipe off, and you will eventually want to do something like this at every place you have a hose connection.

Dave Fiscus runs the Wiggins clamps on his car. They are just so expensive. I would do as Carl stated and build a link system(one on each side of the TB) to take the main force of the hose and clamp. I remember talking to Ron Kincaid many moons ago and this was the only way they could keep the hoses from coming of the Metco car. They ran them on one side of the pipe only.

The rod end types are sharp looking , but work no better than the ones made of flat alum. stock.

Carl and Louie,

The links make the most sense. Wiggins clamps sure look cool.....but MAN are they expensive!! I need to do something and I want it to look good as well as be functional.

I blew the hose off at Indy about 1/2 track just as it started to rain. I walked the track and found the clamp....lucky because I didn't have a spare. I'm now tethering two clamps together to at least keep the clamp from departing the vehicle.

That TB that Don is making is SICK!!! I wish I had a mill.....I wish I had a mill.........

Dave

I wish we had met in Indy; I wasn't racing but I took a bag full of spare clamps and a few pieces of intercooler hose and other spare parts in case someone needed something :). Looking through your car and engine pics I can see why you want this to look as good as the rest. Your throttle body has four mount points, not two, but I think two links would be best - top on driver's side and bottom on passenger side to avoid the throttle linkage. You step way down from throttle body to up pipe diameter so it would probably look best if you welded two ears on the pipe so the links can run parallel to the pipe. Maybe use nut couplers on the throttle body studs, straight rod with the ends threaded, and a nut and washer on each side of the ear on the pipe with a simple hole through the ear. Use stainless steel for the rod and polish it, and it should look nice (or powdercoat to match the pipe?). 1/4" for the rods if that works with the throttle body studs, and maybe 1/8" plate for the ears with an angle gusset for strength if the pipe is steel, or 1/4" if aluminum.

Oh, you do have a bead on each end of your pipes, don't you?

Carl,

Good suggestions. Yes, beads on all the IC pipes. The hose is slipping off the TB and there is a bead there too.

Next time you see me at a race, come over and introduce yourself.

Dave

I finished the Wiggins clamp and the throttle body. I probably have one of the most customized AccuFab TBs ever!

Now I need to see how well it works.

Attachments

• IM002588.JPG
    IM002588.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 367
While I was fabricating, I made a couple of breather cans too...........

Attachments

• IM002596.JPG
    IM002596.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 299
nice

Nice fabrication work, Dave. I was going to suggest buying a couple of SS turnbuckles from McMaster-Carr. They're cheap, strong....and shiney.:D You could get them with different style ends and weld a couple of tabs on the up-pipe. Looks like you have the problem well in hand already. Nice job.

Woo Hoo...post number 231!