Wierd turn signals

87gninpa

Im having osme wierd turn signal issues with my car. the left one will blink when turned on, but after about 30 secs will just stay solid. the right one doesnt come on on the dash, but the back light will blink, but the front ones dont......hazards are different every time. i tthought it may be the signal switch in the dash but im beginning to doubt that. the fuse is ok and all bulbs were replace and they're all ok. anyone have any clue as to what could be going on here? im really lost and inspection is due this month.......could it be the signla switch??

I made that mistake of replacing the front turn signal with a clear 2057 bulb. It made it blink slow. I had to hunt around for an amber one but got it at NAPA. Works fine now.

Amber-parking/turn
Clear-parking/turn and stop.
I read the package too late for the clear:(

by flasher units, do you mean the one for the hazards in the fusebax and also the one for the signals in the column?

My orginal bulbs were marked 2057. Maybe they cross reference.

Yes, that is correct

You can hear them clicking when the turn sigs and/or hazards are on. There is a separate unit for each. The 2057 is a different candlepower than the 1157, and unless I'm mistaken, the 1157 should be OEM in the 87. The 2057 should work though.:cool:

I had the same problem once. I changed the socket in the PS side front marker light and the problem went away for awhile. It turned out that I had a bad wire going to the socket, and when I wiggled it, the turn signal would work. Turn the turn signal on and wiggle (or jiggle :) the wires to see if it functions properly. Hope it helps.

By the way, mine trouble was on the opposite side.

That style flasher operates by means of a bi-metallic strip...

...and a pair of contacts. Eventually, they don't make good contact, or the bi-metallic strip fatigues to the point is doesn't make and break like it should. Sometimes they will work properly for a few seconds then quit. By the symptoms you listed,
after about 30 secs will just stay solid
it sounds like you have a flasher dropping out. There may be other issues as well, but flashers are not that expensive, and definitely have a finite lifetime. :cool: