Wierd smoking issue popped up yesterday. Need some guidance.

BARRACUDA1968

I have some of this in my long term thread but I wanted to start a new one to hopefully draw in some fresh ideas.

I have about 250 miles on a fresh build. Oil pressures good, temp good, motor sounds fine. I've readjusted the valves and re-torqued my heads with cometic gaskets.

All this was done by 150 miles. Then yesterday I went for a drive, mostly interstate to run some errands. All was good. Met some friends for dinner about 25 miles from home. Stopped at my buddies house to drop him off and going down his lane about 15 mph we heard what sounded like a rattle in the front of the car. Keep in mind he has a semi rough gravel lane. Got to the end of the lane and opened the hood. All sounded normal. My friend who an ASE certified tech and shop owner opened the throttle and once he let off blue smoke came out the tail pipes. Smelt like oil. We pulled the PCV and let it run. Nothing changed, still smoked after gassing it. My catch can on PCV system was all but dry. Thinking maybe turbo seal???

Pulled the up pipe and it's bone dry, throttle body is dry as well. Tonight after work I pulled the down pipe off expecting to find some oil. Doesn't look like any oil has been in there??

I did however pull the MAF pipe last night and there was some oil on the inlet bell side that's why I thought for sure I'd see a smoking gun pulling the down pipe.

Drove the car home last night about 4 miles then in to work today about 2 miles. No smoking what so ever.

Take a look. Exhaust looks rich but wideband say's no. Maybe this is normal for a turbo car?

Inlet bell today, just a small amount of oil residue. I wiped up the oil last night before coming home.

Throttle body is clean. I might just see a hint of oil maybe from PCV in the upper plenum??

Don't look like any oil has been through the down pipe but I could be wrong?

Before I take the turbo off I wanted to get some help here. Thanks Brett

Last edited:
What is feeding oil to the turbo? If its off a high pressure remote feed, it could just be the classic "too much oil to an older used turbo scenario." Some guys placed restrictors on the oil feed to the turbo. I've never experienced it, just remember reading about it on the forums years ago.

I have a brass "T" at the motor. Top side is the sending unit for the AVS gauges and the through side is the metal oil feed line up to the turbo. Nothing fancy.

Just drive the F'ing car and forget about it. Don't think u have anything wrong. Just one of those things that drive us nuts. I have things that doesn't make sense with my car, still driving it. BTW you don't have any more coin in your car then I do. It's a Turbo GN!!!

maybe pull the upper plenum and shine a bright light down the intake ports see if you can see any oil puddling from running down the intake valve stems. Mine shows a small amount, but doesn't smoke. I think some amount is normal but you might see something excessive.

Not saying it could be your problem but I had a freshly updated turbo smoke intermittently (at first) and smell like oil just as you're describing. I pulled both the hot and cold sides and saw no visible indication of oil. Since it only takes a little bit of oil to cause smoke, yours could be like mine leaking just a tiny bit inside and not enough to leak out where you can see. You could try shining a flashlight inside the turbine to check for any wetness. Usually a turbo with the problem I just described won't blow smoke at cold start up but will once warmed up. Have you checked your thrust? Going by memory I think Brian told me if it's more than .0015 then its too much. If you have a spare known good turbo, slap it on and see if the problem persists.

Just drive the F'ing car and forget about it. Don't think u have anything wrong. Just one of those things that drive us nuts. I have things that doesn't make sense with my car, still driving it. BTW you don't have any more coin in your car then I do. It's a Turbo GN!!!

That's what I'm going to do. I talked with Bison tonight and he explained a few things to me that gives me a better understanding of what is probably going on.

I do have some shiney residue in the upper plenum. Probably oil vapor getting sucked in with a tight motor. I'll just drive the thing and enjoy it.

I appreciate all the help as always.

Drive it like you stole it. Stop babying it. If assembled correctly, it really needs to eat. Crank the boost to octane limit and hammer it...........NOW! There is zero gain driving it like an old lady.
After assembly, I let it run at 1800-2000rpm for 20 minutes. Then let it cool and change oil and cut filter apart to inspect for debris. Then start it back up and let it warm up alternating rpm. Then put it in gear and slowly bring the rpm up against the converter until the boost gauge starts to move........then I hammer the loud pedal and smack the rings with as much boost as it'll make. Then hand the keys over and tell them to go race it.

I'll start putting some boost in to it. I have the 5.7 chip in it now from my iron headed motor. Didn't want to switch to SD2 before I fired the new motor with the TA aluminum heads. That's the only change I made. This is part of the reason I'm not being to aggressive. I ordered a 55 gallon drum of 110, mainly for my small block stroker with 12.5 comp but I planned to put some in the GN just to be safe the first time I stomp it.

With pump gas an alky I should be safe with this chip if I pull timing and keep boost around 15/16. Forgive me if I'm gun shy but I want to keep the heads on the motor long enough to get the new chip in it and get it tuned properly.

A new motor with fresh bored and honed cylinders needs to break in for the rings to seat.
You are probably experiencing some oil getting past unseated oil rings.

How's the oil return line, not kinked or anything?

Oil return line is good, double checked that.

The consensus is I need to put more boost in to the engine to seat rings properly. I will step it up some on boost levels.

Went for a drive after work. No WOT but got 15 psi in it a few times. AFR was 10.0 which is the lowest my AEM reads. No KR Car scoots. No issues.

I'm going to get the SD2 installed in the next week. Just need to weld the bung for sensor in the up pipe. Then I'll start tuning it.

Feels fast at 3/4 throttle and 15 psi. It has potential.