Width of a 285/40/17?

Pat

Boost Conseuer!
Anyone know where I could find out the total width of a 285/40/17 on a 17X 9.5 wheel. I would like the total being things are so close.

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Well, the tire size calculator I use doesn't exactly show a width measurement. But, you can calculate it. Here are the other measurments compared to stock:

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
215/60-15 5.1in 12.6in 25.2in 79.0in 802 0.0%
285/40-17 4.5in 13.0in 26.0in 81.6in 776 3.3%

Calculating TIRE width - not tread width, you get

285 / 25.4 = 11.22 inches wide.

Thanks a lot! I couldn't exactly follow your math though? Any help there?

Ryan

Accully I understand the math, just was wondering how that tire size would fit on a 9.5" rim. I would think it would pull it in a bit. I've measured a bout 11.2" of clearance in the rear and that's cutting it a bit close . Maybe I counld roll the fender lip?

Ryan

just put that size torque thrusters on a gn-fit perfect-i think they are about 10" wide.

Everybody has TT2's around here. I want to be different, kind of like the GN is. I'll post picks once these are mounted. Going for a totally different look. Kind of a vintage racing style. Can't wait, though, they said delivery will take about 3 weeks. I'll figure my offset hopefully tommorow, after my alignment. I just did a Hotchkis a arm and b body spindle upgrade. Even cross drilled the 12" rotors. Should look pretty cool when finished.

And yes it may not get the best traction, but she'll look mean as Hell! Hopping the width will make up for side wall flex. May even see her at BG.
Ryan
:cool:

I got that size tire in the back of my GN with no rubbing problems on 9.5 inch Simmons wheels. On the front I have 255s on an 8.5 inch wheel. BFG G forces.
Tarey D.