Wideband O2 bung location

theMonch

2QIK4U
I am about to install an electric exhaust cutout on my GN and was wondering If it would be OK to have a bung welded into it for my wideband O2 gauge?

This would make it easy so I wouldn't have to bring the whole car somewhere to have someone weld it into the down pipe.

What do you think.

Scroll to the bottom of the page. Multiple threads on this, some with pictures

Here's where I put mine:

Just above the last bend in the downpipe. Wanted to keep it far enough away from the turbo to avoid the overheating issues many others have.

Attachments

• 100_0332.jpg
    100_0332.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 293
  • 100_0333.jpg
    100_0333.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 293
  • 100_0334.jpg
    100_0334.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 265
my wb is pretty much across from the radiator overflow fill cap...that way my wiring was all under hood. It's far enough away I havent had any problems.

I've got mine mounted in the same place as TurboDave and has worked fine there. I don't think you would want right near the cutout opening. Wondering if mounting where Dave and I have it would be effected when the dump is open? Thoughts??

Thanks guys I appreciate the input. I would love to have it in the downpipe near the firewall, but I was just trying to avoid having to bring the car somewhere for someone to weld in the bung. I thought I could just bring the Y pipe from the cutout to a shop and have them weld the bung in there, and I could just install it myself. I was just afraid that being in the Y pipe right before the cutout would affect the reading if the cutout was open vs. cutout closed. It probably is safer to go in the DP.

Sooooo, just take the downpipe off the car and bring THAT to the welder. Not hard to take off.

Been mixing it in with my daily driver about 50% lately, so didn't want to take it off the road right now. I think I might just wait a few weeks till I am ready to retire it for the winter and do exactly that. I think It would be for the best in the long run, because I plan to to an XFI conversion this winter as well, and I can have two bungs welded in to allow for the XFI's wideband as well which I understand has to use it's own sensor.

Been mixing it in with my daily driver about 50% lately, so didn't want to take it off the road right now. I think I might just wait a few weeks till I am ready to retire it for the winter and do exactly that. I think It would be for the best in the long run, because I plan to to an XFI conversion this winter as well, and I can have two bungs welded in to allow for the XFI's wideband as well which I understand has to use it's own sensor.
Why would you want two widebands? Your gonna log your runs anyways. I'd just install the xfi one!!