Why not???

imjoesnuffy

I just break stuff!
Was just thinking about some stuff the other day and was wondering why no one uses Oxygen as a fuel additive?

Obviously there is a safety issue in case of an accident, but that can be taken care of easily enough.

I was wondering if too much heat would be the problem?? I would think that would be the biggest problem, but I honestly don't know enough about spark, fuel, oxygen and metals. Possible meltdown??? What I do know, depending on altitude approx 21% O2 in the air, what happens if that is increased?

If that is not a problem. Why couldn't you rig up a BIG bottle in the trunk and feed it to the intercooler or TB? Obviously the bottle wouldn't last long. Sounds like nothing but fun to me. I have no idea how much air is cycled through these engine at any given time. Obviously you couldn't run pure oxygen.

I'm sure this has been done before, just haven't heard of it before.

Sorry for subjecting you to the thoughts bouncing around inside my head:biggrin:

There is something about nitrogen playing an important role in the combustion process. Most of the air we breathe is nitrogen. Even with nitrous oxide injection, the nitrogen, once disassociated during the combustion process plays an important role. If I remember correctly, it acts as a buffer to control the flame speed and rate of heat buildup. There could be more to it than that. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Donnie hit the nail on the head, the nitrogen acts as a buffer, pure oxygen would most likely cause engine damage. Also Nitrous isn't nearly as flamable as oxygen so it is safer. Nitrous is proven - why re-invent the wheel?

Was just thinking about some stuff the other day and was wondering why no one uses Oxygen as a fuel additive?

Obviously there is a safety issue in case of an accident, but that can be taken care of easily enough.

I was wondering if too much heat would be the problem?? I would think that would be the biggest problem, but I honestly don't know enough about spark, fuel, oxygen and metals. Possible meltdown??? What I do know, depending on altitude approx 21% O2 in the air, what happens if that is increased?

If that is not a problem. Why couldn't you rig up a BIG bottle in the trunk and feed it to the intercooler or TB? Obviously the bottle wouldn't last long. Sounds like nothing but fun to me. I have no idea how much air is cycled through these engine at any given time. Obviously you couldn't run pure oxygen.

I'm sure this has been done before, just haven't heard of it before.

Sorry for subjecting you to the thoughts bouncing around inside my head:biggrin:
I would assume you get ample amount of oxygen coming through the intake.

I've always wondered what liquid oxygen would do, but I don't want to be the test mule for that!