Why Me??

78oldscutlass

Why am I here?
I just finished putting in my 200 4R in the car today and have some questions.

(First the tranny is a 86' KCF code tranny with the stock valve body and has the art car billet servo, Art carr shift kit, and GN governor.)

The shift point seems WAY high. I have to let off the throttle to get it top upshift. Once it goes into 2nd (I think it is going into 2nd, It might be skipping 2nd and going into 3rd), It bucks like a manual tranny car. Again, I have to get it up to speed for it to go into 3rd, letting up on the trottle and seems to still buck. (I didnt know what was going on, so I stop and towed the car home.)

So whats the problem here? I can bet I will have to pull out the damn tranny again, but I got to fix it or junk it.

Will pulling out the TV 2 clicks maybe fix the shift point from being to high?

Yall have been wonderful on this board, I read this section everyday

(PS, I DO NOT have the Lockup hooked up yet. I tested the LU solenoid at school and checked out fine. Also I notive the servo is leaking tranny fluid, so I dont know if that will cause the problem.)

Thanks in advance.

It will never work right with a GN gov. and a stock KCF vb, that combo will only give you what you are having right now. VB needs to be calibrated for gn gov. or (better yet) stock kcf gov.

IIRC from earlier posts you cannot use the GN governor with a non GN valve body. Something about it not wanting to shift (like you're describing).
Edit: I'm too slow!

It will never shift with a GN........ahhh.... oh well you get the point. LOL :D

:D

Bruce
WE4

Originally posted by 78oldscutlass
I just finished putting in my 200 4R in the car today and have some questions.... Once it goes into 2nd (I think it is going into 2nd, It might be skipping 2nd and going into 3rd), It bucks like a manual tranny car.
If you don't get 2nd your band adjustment is probly too lose? :eek: :confused:

well, I change the Governor today and it seemed to fix my shifting problem, But I ended up with worse problems.

The 1-2 Shift slips. I though maybe the band isnt adjusted right, but once its in, it holds. Then on my second test drive, It blew out the servo seal. ATF poured all over my exhaust and make a huge white cloud of smoke going down the road. I lost second gear after that and its sitting in the driveway leaking about a quart on the ground. I guess that little leak I had just got worse:eek: Im changing the seal tomorrow to fix the leak and hopefully my slipping shift.

I notice going from 2-3 and 3-4 it shifts REAL hard. Its uncomfortable shifting at light throttle. As soom as I get the servo fixed, Ill pull the TV out a click to see if it helps.

EDIT:// Is it possible to have TOO much line pressure? I guess I need to buy a Trans guage and take some readings

Pressure releif blows off at 360 I believe, so you won't be able to go over that.

I have sit here pondering why does it still slip going into 2nd and 4th. Do I have a cut lip seal on the servo? I took the pan off and looked at the drum and band through the window in the case and it doesnt look burnt yet. I just trying to get and idea to check for when I take it out.

The part of the band your looking at is the metal backing, you would see the burnt part of the lining unless it was out of the tranny, burnt doesn't mean the lining is gone just fried, some might want to call it glazed. If it was too lose to begin with it only takes a few times of slipping to fry it.