Why is NASCAR so lame??

GNSCOTT

open faced club sandwich
Why do they always have to even the cars out?? One manufacturer starts winning more than others and the mess with spoilers, also why are there no stock parts on the cars? Maybe manufacturers would/ could benefit if they at least used the stock motors. Who better than these engine builders to find hidden HP and help GM build a better motor? I think cars like Subaru and these other ralley cars sell better because people can buy an off the shelf ralley car. Just add a rollbar and tweak the hell out of them and go ralley racing. I'm seriously considering buying a ZO6 and doing some paved ralley racing next year. Nascar in my eyes has gotten lame, especially the super speedways. Daytona is the lamest to watch. Go from 1st to 15th inj a mile if you get out of the draft. Bring back the 60's rules now! Oh yea, and run FI, the only rule from the 60's I'd like to see dissapear.

"Why is NASCAR so lame??"......

Bascially, progress and big business.

Stock car racing used to use "stock cars" with safety modifications.
The famous Hudson Hornets and Chrysler 300s were pretty much stock except for some tweaks and safety mods.

Money, money, money.

I guess the wing thing goes back to the Daytona/Superbird. It's cool to read/hear about when the cars influenced every day cars, somewhat directly. I am glad that the cars had to become safer for the drivers, but they hold no interest for me. Can't believe the drivers complained about neck pads (or whatever they're called). I'd love to go to some rally racing, SCORE, or F1. That's some serious stuff. NASCAR's kind of bland, although I'd love to try one of those classes on it. Kinda like baseball, fun to do, dull to watch.
I do like watching some shows about the race prep, crews etc. That's some detail, more interesting than watching the left turn circuit.

Just my .02

Originally posted by slow 86 gn
Because they have not figured out how to make there cars turn right yet.:D

I think if you can turn when you're racing, your not going
fast enough :D

NHRA drag racing is where the real power can be found.

"Real racers drive straight to the finish line, others just drive
around in circles looking for it" :p

I say lose the restricter plates,same size motor that is in vehicle production, and same driveline. Then it would be a little more interesting. Kinda like the old days. I would watch 20 mustangs cobras and 20 z06 corvettes race for 500 miles.

Pat, don't foget you'd problably get the new GTO in there, Viper too, but it would give manufacturers something to shoot for in a performance car. Maybe you could eliminate the Vette and Viper by saying no 2 seaters since they are supercars and would dominate, but it may have saved the f-body, deffinately would have put the Challenger or Charger into production, and would have shined a light on affordable sports cars again, especially if they are off the showroom cars with safety features added.

Who would of ever thought of racing trucks on a paved oval 20 years ago? Money money money!!! Local tracks are a fun time,but if I want to see something special I watch F1. My opinion so don't put out a contract on me.
Nascar sure does know how to market a product.To bad GM can't!!

NASCAR is making billions so no one can say they dont give the public what they want.

Dont forget in the "GOOD OLD DAYS" of racing there were three cars on the lead lap, and most cars won by 10-15 seconds.
Hardly fun to watch:rolleyes: THATS why everything is kept even.

How fun would it be to watch a Viper lap a GTO every other lap?

Blackbuick said it right. Its a good show, the finishes are close, they are riding on the raged edge, and you actually have door to door racing. There aren't too many racing series where the cars even come close to what you can buy from the showroom.

I can appreciate and love to watch a lot of different types of racing. The cars in F1 are simply amazing, but they change the rules just as much as they do in nascar. I watched the F1 race this weekend, and the only decent pass made was when the leader made a bonehead moved and slowed down to wave at his pits, and got past 20' from the finish line. That may have been in the lower class though. F1 isn't that exciting to watch. They don't pass for the lead (only in the pits) there is no door to door racing, heck its very rare that 2 cars are in the same screen they are so spread out. Nascar provides some of the closest racing on tv.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
Blackbuick said it right. Its a good show, the finishes are close, they are riding on the raged edge, and you actually have door to door racing. There aren't too many racing series where the cars even come close to what you can buy from the showroom.

I can appreciate and love to watch a lot of different types of racing. The cars in F1 are simply amazing, but they change the rules just as much as they do in nascar. I watched the F1 race this weekend, and the only decent pass made was when the leader made a bonehead moved and slowed down to wave at his pits, and got past 20' from the finish line. That may have been in the lower class though. F1 isn't that exciting to watch. They don't pass for the lead (only in the pits) there is no door to door racing, heck its very rare that 2 cars are in the same screen they are so spread out. Nascar provides some of the closest racing on tv.

That was the F3000 race not f1,and I remember Mark Martin in A Bush race 10 or so years ago leading the race and then pulling off the track on the
white flag lap thinlking it was done. Needless to say he did'nt even come in second. Stupidity goes world wide.
Difference between F1 and nascar is simply the cars. I really could car less about side by side racing in f1. Go to Indy and just watch the cars. They are simply AMAZING!!
As far as wheel to wheel racing goes Open wheel (cart,irl)is more exciting at 220+ than boats at 190-. Nascar is marketing towards the fans of the local tracks. Drivers are more important in nascar. The fans can relate to them because aot have driven at their local tracks.

Originally posted by Pat Adkins
I say lose the restricter plates,same size motor that is in vehicle production, and same driveline. Then it would be a little more interesting. Kinda like the old days. I would watch 20 mustangs cobras and 20 z06 corvettes race for 500 miles.

Also get rid of the standard Ford Taurus body and let the manufacturers use their own bodies and not just a Taurus center section with a GM, Dodge or Ford nose and tail piece. To heck with parity. A Monte Carlo should look like a Monte Carlo and a Dodge Intrepid should look like a Dodge Intrepid, not Ford Taurus' with different nose and tail pieces. They also should let Dodge use the 5.7 Hemi and force the other manufacturers to catch up to their technology.

b231v6,
thats why there are different series of racing. I grew up in indiana. I was a die hard indy fan. We either went to the race or had a party and listened on the radio (they black out the race in the state) The whole cart vs indy turned me off but thats beside the point. I loved indy racing. Nothing like a 500,000 people party!! :) I was at the race that Lyundike (SP?) set the record as well as many other Indy 500s. IRL has come a long way in the last few years. They are actually getting some good close finishes, but in my opinion, there is nothing like the Kurt Bush/Ricky Craven finish. I was pumped up and the hair on my arms was standing up 15 laps from the finish. I just don't get as excited about open wheel. There is no close quarters racing. If they do get close, parts start flying off the cars and they crash.

I like cars that are a little more durable. One little tiny scrape of the wall and the suspension on most open wheel cars are shot. I saw DE #3 roll his GM Goodwrench chebby, get out of the car, walk to the ambulance when he noticed that all 4 tires were still inflated. He ran back, got in the car and continued to race a NASCAR car that had been rolled. You just dont see that in openwheel.

The coolest thing I saw at this years indy 500 was A.J. Foyt IV spin coming out of turn 2 or 4, keep it off the wall, get it straitened out and cruise down the straitaway backwards at well over 100mph!!! Now that was cool!!

A demand for Safety forced a divergence from true stock cars, and rightfully so.

Parity between cars keeps the races close and puts a premium on driving skills as well as support skills.

Parity keeps the manufacturers involved and minimized their own racing development.

Parity keeps the stands full as the faithful know their guy has a chance.

Other forms of racing have the same types of control whether it be IRL or Formula 1.

Rather than restrictor plates which makes for freight train racing, I would rather see smaller engines to keep the speeds manageable.

If you want excitement, there is always rally cars or Baja racing. :)

I love NASCAR, but, it is somewhere between a business and entertainment as is most high dollar racing. At least we can wait to see if Sterling decides to repay Mr. Gordon for his recent sins.

I think part of it is that here in America, for physical attendance, most people want to be able to see the whole race, not just the part of the track that comes in front of you. That's why stadium racing is always going to be bigger, IMO, since it is more of a spectator sport that way. From my understanding, across the pond they go to lengths to watch a rally race, even if they only get a brief glimpse of the cars as they shoot past a small section of the course. Same for SCORE/Baja racing and F1. To have a complex race course you have to move the cars around and occaisionally out of sight, which isn't how most here want to watch a race.