Why is my Walbro340 noisy?

Spdrcer34

I installed a GN tank, Walbro340 and Racetronix Plug & Play (Hot-wire) kit, and my pump is noisy. I see alot of you guys saying how much quiter the pump was with the Racetronix P&P kit installed. I'm just not noticing ANY difference.

Ryan

I can't think of any reason why a hot-wire kit would make the pump less noisy......

I used a Casper's hot-wire kit when I put in my Walbro340 2 years ago. I thought it was noisy after I installed it, but I've gotten used to the "whine". If you didn't use the pulsator when you put the pump in it will tend to be noiser than the stock pump.

I kinda like the sound....."what's that whining sound?"...."oh, just my fuel pump"....pause...."cool"

John

I've read a few posts that indicated that with the P&P kit it gets 14.x volts, as opposed to 10-12.x volts, making it quieter.

I just used whatever was in the kit when I bought it from Racetronix.

Ryan

Nothing says "FAST!" on a fuel injected car like a loud fuel pump! Except maybe loud injectors... :)

Yes...the hot-wire kit is a good thing. The pump gets the voltage it need to supply the needed flow/pressure at WOT, but it won't make the pump any quieter. (in my experience)

This is funny, my walbro 340 is DEAD silent. You can not hear it at all. I mean you can put your ear right near the bumper, nOTHING! I am not the one who installed it and I dont truist it. I checked the voltage, it is getting 13.4. I am going to drop the tank over the winter to check it out. Might just replace it as well.

Ralph

i had the same results with the 340 pump and the hot wire kit ,very noisy from day one .i though i got a bad one so replaced it again same thing there just noisy pumps.:D

See what I mean? SOME people say they're dead silent, including another guy that did the same GN tank swap in his Cutlass, like me. But there are OTHERS that have the same noise level I have. Why such a difference?

BTW, I don't have an EFI engine, just a Carb'd Olds 350, with a Mallory Return Style Regulator.

There's nothing like hearing all 4 barrels open up on a Healthy Engine!

Ryan

I have a 340 pump and a caspers wire kit and my pump is quiet.
When you guys installed your pumps did you open the end of
the fuel line where it swags down smaller. If not that might make
the pump louder. More voltage would make it louder also due to higher voltage makes the pump run faster.:D

"When you guys installed your pumps did you open the end of
the fuel line where it swags down smaller. If not that might make
the pump louder."

Actually, I just cut it off. Just as it necked down from 3/8" to 5/16"

Ryan

Originally posted by mgmshar
Nothing says "FAST!" on a fuel injected car like a loud fuel pump! Except maybe loud injectors... :)
Hehe!! yeah, anyone ever run an external Bosch pump along with the existing intank pump? "Back in the day" that's how we did it, and it was VERY loud! Sounded pretty trick

Originally posted by gnfanatic
This is funny, my walbro 340 is DEAD silent. You can not hear it at all. I mean you can put your ear right near the bumper, nOTHING! I am not the one who installed it and I dont truist it. I checked the voltage, it is getting 13.4. I am going to drop the tank over the winter to check it out. Might just replace it as well.

Ralph

I would not trust the guy that installed it either...:D

Originally posted by Spdrcer34
I installed a GN tank, Walbro340 and Racetronix Plug & Play (Hot-wire) kit, and my pump is noisy. I see alot of you guys saying how much quiter the pump was with the Racetronix P&P kit installed. I'm just not noticing ANY difference.

Ryan
Been there your pump is shot, Thats why it is making excessive noise!

Well we all have to remeber when you install a larger pump from the stock one it will be louder i have friends that have external pumps that are extremely loud, even my intank walbro pump is loud iam pretty sure the pump is fine..

I have an external pump, and dam it's loud ! Everone asks " Whats that noise?" I think it's on its way out though, now it goes on and off when it feels like it:eek:
Whats another part?;)

his is in the tank, no reason for loud pump... unless going bad.. mine was shot and brand new.... pte replaced it free of charge !

Well its definetly louder than stock now how much fuel you have in your tank because if it is under half than it will make noise but if its full it shouldn't make that much noise but noise is supposed to be there. when i start my car and first let the pump go on i hear it loud and clear.sounds like a type of buzz..

So some of you are saying it's a bad pump, even though it's BRAND NEW, while others are saying it's fine, there's is loud too. WHICH IS IT?

Ryan

I've had some loud ones, some quiet ones. Put a gauge on it and check it at WOT. If you got the PSI you are expecting, then you are fine. You can't go by the sound of it to tell if it is good or bad. I've got 70psi at WOT and you can't hear mine if your head is right there.....

Like I said above.....mine's been noisy since the day it was installed. That was 2 years ago....plenty of pressure...plenty of flow...put approx. 10K miles on the car. ..plus a few 1/4 mile sprints :)