Why? Cause I have the time and the money...

rhib_driver

Wondering what it would take to convert a non turbo 231 over using t type spare parts in a '92' 88 LSS. I KNOW..before ya'll hit me over the head with baseball bats... it sounds like an incredible waste of time and money. And it is. However, I want a one of a kind granpa car that sleeps like a kitten and roars like a lion sooos...anyone?

I don't know what a '92' 88 lss is, but your best bet is to buy a used engine with wiring harness and all and then drop it into whatever type of car you want. You will spend a ton of time and money chasing down parts to put it together. You'll need the computer, motor, all sensors etc. Tracking these things down one at a time will take forever and cost a lot.

It's a 92 Olds 88 LSS with a Buick 231. Brace for shock, its front wheel drive. Like I said though I am just between projects and am curious about the possibilities. I have a totaled T type carcass with motor and it looks like I could (after some serious header mods and a few feet of sheet metal work get this to come off.

The engine is a new 3.8 litre and shares no parts with the turbo regal's 3.8. you would be better of getting a supercharged 3.8 out of a front drive regal or grand prix.

David

Thought that might be the case. Safe to say then that the bottom end probably wouldnt stand up to an aftermarket application either huh? Matter of fact since you brought that to my attention, how weak are the newer 3800 motors hardware wise? Is the 3.8 even worth working or like you said just swap motors from something else already built.

I don't think the frd trans bolts to the rwd 3.8. Even if it does I don't think it could handle the torque.

Leave your OLDS alone..

If anything trade it in for an LSS Supercharged one. They are out there but hard to find.

See the 3800 section on this board.

daum Virginians

where abouts in Virginia are you?

as far as the car you could adapt a turbo to it but not much of anything on the ttype will help you

RED

thats what i was about to ask to, im from roanoke:D if your close by we have a local gn club with 6 TRs if ya need any technical help with a project like that.

THRASHER ENGINEERED PERFORMANCE

do a search on those guys
chips and FWD buick,pontiac, GN performance products,

Va Beach here... and any help would be great. Most important right now is to deermine if the 3800 series one bottom end can handle any more power. I found a place to get beefed up trans axles so the front wheel drive problem is solved ( those guys at intense racing have some fairly insane fwd vehicles running 8's so I think thier tamed down setups would be perfect for what i want to do). Any more info on the viability of a 3800block and lower end for this would be great.

:D we dont build fwd's here so probly bad place to ask what they will take

In southeast section of this board there is a thread call virginians ... drop a post in it then its easy for one of us to go see who all is around us ;)

Im right across the water from you if a little fab help or Ideas is needed I was going to turbo my 3.3 olds fwd at one point but desided not too

If you want to get rid of the wrecked t/r let me know too

in that Virginians thread you will find in one of my post contact info to get ahold of me

I also have 2 3.8 fwd motors here that I'll get rid of cheap if you want them.. they are complete but most likely could use a rebuild

theres an article in the new pontiac magazine that had installing main caps into a 3800 or was it a 3400?? look for that mag