Why Are HotAir Cars Slow?

has anyone found out how Cosner/Crosner did the 10 second pass on his NA Buick v6 regal? (I could only see that its debored and has 2 4bbl carbs on a homemade intake. and the 5.something gears...which probably helped a whole bunch)its mentioned on the B4Black website... apparently theres a way to get a NA car into the 10s....

I also recall something about building an engine strong enough for NA, makes it that much easier to boost and have higher HP numbers with either turbo or supercharging; including having higher compression, now I figure that with higher compression, one needs higher octane fuel and I'm not sure how they got around the whole knock retard thing with boosting a higher compression engine, but I have to think, if higher compression makes more HP before boosting, then wouldnt a low boost make even more higher HP with the huge torque gains? just woolgathering here.

50 shot just one pass :wink:
Remember when we all thought 11.99 was fast in a HA? LOL :biggrin:
It's not even that long ago . . . about when the thread started. ;)

You and Jamie have sure proven otherwise.
. . . . . Hot air cars can make a lot of HP. Cold air cars will always be able to make more, everything else being equal. You cannot fool the Laws of Thermodynamics.

Conrad

PS...Let the firestorm begin!

Conrad,
There are no firestorms with the Laws of Thermodynamics . :cool: Agree 100%.
However, if one understands the variables, one can max out the laws in their favor. :eek:

I am sure you agree that it is amazing how fast current HA set-ups such as Turb6X2 and Boost231 are running with all them 90 degree bends in the intake manifold. :cool:

There are a few new members who are seeking some answers . . . . so I am bumping this because there is good applicable info here.
HA get a bad reputation because few people really understand them, AND, many start with unrealistic dreams . . . LOL!
So . . . . bump . . . and happy reading.:p

There are a few new members who are seeking some answers . . . . so I am bumping this because there is good applicable info here.
HA get a bad reputation because few people really understand them, AND, many start with unrealistic dreams . . . LOL!
So . . . . bump . . . and happy reading.:p
I'll try and answer your email tomorrow if I get the time Jerryl. I've been a little busy for the last couple of weeks, but I need the cash. Hopefully I'll have a little free time to do the last mod to the frame and a bunch of other things.:D

I'll try and answer your email tomorrow if I get the time Jerryl. I've been a little busy for the last couple of weeks, but I need the cash. Hopefully I'll have a little free time to do the last mod to the frame and a bunch of other things.:D
Cool Charlie. Calling me may be easier. LOL!!

wow, back from the dead ;) nice
LOL. . . . . Well, one this is for sure . . . . not much has changed with these HA cars in principle, so 99% what is in this section still applies.
The challenges remained the same . . . . fortunately and unfortunately . . . . :confused:

Had a conversation with some local hotrodders a week ago . . . .
Many people (including myself at one time) think that building one of these cars is a quick turnaround project. . . . . but we learn that it takes patience to build these cars right . . . . but once they are right, there is nothing like it. :cool:

after reading this entire post i have decided to keep my hot air gn true to its form. i agree that we are over looked. but with brothers like this we can get our just do's. you guys are awsome i enjopyed the read and found out alot more about my car. like upgradeing my turbo. i never thought you could upgrade a ha turbo.

saved another one. ;) never thought this thread would turn out the way it did. I have learned a few things since this post started.

Any car can be made faster and someone has done the research on how to do it already. The internet has made this much easier to learn how to do it rather than just a quick write up in a mag or a news letter like it used to be.:) Now that the info is getting put there on how to do it you really don't have to change everything to a different system to get what you want out of it.;) Glad to see you've decided to keep it like it was designed.:cool:

lol almost the orginal way i had to put a electric fan in. lol other then that shes all the same

Guys,
You hot air folks need to visit the E85 Technical forum. E85 could change everthing! It is a chemical intercooler with none (well, almost none) of the problems running methanol. Several TB guys have removed their intercooler!!!
E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) is great since ethanol has a high heat of vaporization.....that means that it sucks heat out of the air/fuel charge...just like an intercooler! Plus, it is 105 octane so you know what you can do to the boost control knob. Trouble is it takes about 30% more E85 to get the BTU's up to match gasoline so you will need to upgrade your fuel pump and injectors if you get serious with E85.
Conrad
Hot Air

ps...the biggest problem with E85 is it's limited availability!

It's funny to read this now, how much has changed in the past couple of years.

Now on too 2012 and let's see what this year brings. I have a couple new upgrades in the works, will be interesting to see how it plays out through the year. Once I get some track time I'll post more.

Now on too 2012 and let's see what this year brings. I have a couple new upgrades in the works, will be interesting to see how it plays out through the year. Once I get some track time I'll post more.
No need to sand bag Jamie..........

If e85 is around 105 octane. That should limit the boost to around 25 ish depending compression ratio before it starts knocking

WOW!!! Ive read many threads & forums and rarely partake in them myself but I must say this thread has made me rethink selling my 85 & picking up an 87!!! The key points is that I have a clean 85 t-top car with 61k miles & some minor normal mods like injectors, ecm, etc.. but nothing major. Ive been hearing people bad mouth 84-85's for so many years that I almost didnt purchase the vehicle even tho it was a steal because of the constant HA bashing. And since, Ive heard it so much that Iactually put my car for sale & figured Id find a 87. But this thread has made me question that. WHY? Most of us drive our cars on the street with a couple thousand or so of mods & do a track day now n then... With that being said Why would I get rid of my beautiful 85 just because the 86 is faster stock? Ok & so are 100's of cars since 1987 so why dont we all go buy them!!! The point is im keeping my 85!!!!

Thanks guys!!!

Hope to see some new numbers in 2013. Hopefully my transmission won't be an issue and I can finally see what this will do. LOL Have a great winter everyone.

I happen to know a good tranny guy.........

Jamie. have you ordered a 4 inch bore alum block yet? :)