Why a V6 not a V8

bigballsbilly

One of my coworkers asked me a question I couldn’t answer. Why was the GN made with the V6 instead of a 350?

It wouldve been just another regal. Nothing special about that. A turbo v6 get more hp and mpg than the v8s of that era including the corvette

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

No, what I mean is why not a V8 turbo? I’m wondering what GMs reasoning was behind using a V6.

Not GM. Buick. This car was developed by Buick. Back then, the Buick division still had its own powertrain development group. They worked on the Indy car engines. Buick at the time didn't have a V8 anymore. They only had their V6, which they started turbocharging in 1978 as a way to get adequate power while still meeting emissions and fuel economy targets. The V8 they could use was the standard corporate 305 cubic inch V8, the LG4, which had a measly 165 horsepower.

They couldn't hop up the corporate engine. They didn't control its development. Chevrolet did. They also couldn't get the 350. That was reserved for the F-Body, Corvette, and trucks. They also wouldn't have been able to meet emissions and efficiency targets with the V8. And on top of all of that, if you stuff 14psi of boost into a 305 or a 350, you're staring at 400-600 horsepower and nearly equal amounts of torque. They did not have a transmission or rear end that would fit in the car and could survive that back then.

So they worked with what they had. the V6 was *their* engine, so they could develop on it without interference from Chevrolet.

I wish pontiac wouldve put a turbo on the 6.0 to piss off chevy and the vettes before they shut them down

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

The Gn's had between 270-310 hp they all new it (chevy/gm) but god forbid they de-thrown the mighty vette on paper, but it showed at the strip!

Because smog and emissions where cracking down and Buick went out the box and threw a turbo on there 3.8 that they had bought back from Jeep . Remember these cars where the beginning of fuel injection. Emissions was a big reason they went v6 instead of a v8

Same reason cars today are using turbo fours. "Downsized boosted" engines give better fuel economy, lowers emissions while still retaining power.

The Turbo V6 engine stated in 1978, evolved and surpassed the V8s of it's time.

From an engineering point of view, the V6 package fits much better in the engine bay and allows for room like the intercooler and turbo to be placed in a favorable position and easy for assembly line workers to assemble. Sure, a V8 fits but add all the extra exhaust, turbo, piping and intercooler and you run out of space fast.
AG.

Emissions, price competitiveness, and market expectations on mileage and performance.