Who's ready for some 3800 power?!

I deal with the 80 attitude offten. Give up 75 ponies because my mother's brother's sister's cousin's uncle's roommate had one. Or this guy in the Internet. Btw nice work on the project.

You can have whatever opinion you want. By trade I'm a transmission builder so I know the ins and outs about the 4l60 and 4l80. So your telling me everyone interested in installing a 3800 wants and is going to run 9's?? 4l80 is just a 400 with a overdrive. Which sucks a lot more power to use. A $500 adaptor,The controller would be more money too. I'd rather run a 2004r with that adaptor if I wasn't running the ready to bolt on 60* 4l60 .Unless it's a race car.Just makes no sense. There are plenty 4l60's running nines with no issues. I was just explaining to wahoo that they never had a 4l80 in a Camaro , that's it. Run what you want.
Back to thread topic.

Headers are done now to the down pipe. Wahoo!!

I apologize for going off-topic. I really didn't mean to start a disagreement. If you are going to install the 3800 and you aren't looking for a good amount of power, I agree, the 4L80e isn't needed. But if like me, you are going to install the 3800 and try for 600whp at the minimum, it seems crazy not to go with the 4L80e right off the bat. I don't see any disadvantage to it. Its a little heavier of a transmission, and yes it probably absorbs some power like QuickT said, but its very strong and you probably don't have to worry about breaking it too easily. The same guy who I spoke about in the last post ran several 4L60e's, and went through 2? built ones of them before he went 4L80. Asf for the controller, if I remember correctly, the 3800PCM can control the 80e without any add-ons. So a controller won't be needed. I seem to remember a guy on here installing one of these transmissions, and going FASTER than with his 2004r..... That's all. I just wanted to provide an alternative to the 60* pattern.

I apologize for going off-topic. I really didn't mean to start a disagreement. If you are going to install the 3800 and you aren't looking for a good amount of power, I agree, the 4L80e isn't needed. But if like me, you are going to install the 3800 and try for 600whp at the minimum, it seems crazy not to go with the 4L80e right off the bat. I don't see any disadvantage to it. Its a little heavier of a transmission, and yes it probably absorbs some power like QuickT said, but its very strong and you probably don't have to worry about breaking it too easily. The same guy who I spoke about in the last post ran several 4L60e's, and went through 2? built ones of them before he went 4L80. Asf for the controller, if I remember correctly, the 3800PCM can control the 80e without any add-ons. So a controller won't be needed. I seem to remember a guy on here installing one of these transmissions, and going FASTER than with his 2004r..... That's all. I just wanted to provide an alternative to the 60* pattern.

The 80 is a good transmission no one would deny that. IMO a complete mismatch for this application. I am not a 60 fan but for their goals it will work perfectly without the addition of adapters and fabrication. But in the end its the owners choice. Nothing wrong with that.

The adapter shown requires everything in the car to be moves about 2" rearward in the chassis or the engine moved forward. I own one and will sell cheap if someone is interested. It will get you hooked up but its not a bolt in.

I deal with the 80 attitude offten. Give up 75 ponies because my mother's brother's sister's cousin's uncle's roommate had one. Or this guy in the Internet. Btw nice work on the project.

Thank you, Lonnie. Cann't agree more

headers came out great, i had a question about what harmonic damper you used and is that the GN pulley on it. keep the update coming.

You can have whatever opinion you want. By trade I'm a transmission builder so I know the ins and outs about the 4l60 and 4l80. So your telling me everyone interested in installing a 3800 wants and is going to run 9's?? 4l80 is just a 400 with a overdrive. Which sucks a lot more power to use. A $500 adaptor,The controller would be more money too. I'd rather run a 2004r with that adaptor if I wasn't running the ready to bolt on 60* 4l60 .Unless it's a race car.Just makes no sense. There are plenty 4l60's running nines with no issues. I was just explaining to wahoo that they never had a 4l80 in a Camaro , that's it. Run what you want.
Back to thread topic.

Headers are done now to the down pipe. Wahoo!!
Thanks for the info! Yeah if I do this swap one day, I'm just gonna buy a V6 fbody and take the drivetrain +harness+ ECM and swap it in.

2014-09-19 17.49.18.jpg
2014-09-19 17.48.47.jpg
2014-09-19 17.51.00.jpg

You going to use the rjc block off plate to cover the internal gate or make your own? I have one 1/2" thick I no long need I'd let go cheap.

Everything is in for the down pipe so there should be a update this weekend for those interesed:)