Who's goin mid-low 1.3 60' times?

turbocliff

I Slang in my white T
I'm just wondering if anyone would be willing to share their 1.3 combo: i'm interesed in the rear suspension, weight, trans and converter-

Thanks for your help!
I'm going stage II, and while I'm not worried about the top end performance, I want to go with a proven combo for launching the car.

Cliff

Wolfe sway bar
TRZ control arms
lakewood shocks
ATI converter
TH400 trans
best of 1.36

Thanks for your response Lou! What is the weight of your car?

Also, maybe some of you could chime in on your thoughts of what I'm planning as my combo:

Stock 8.5 Rear with 9" ends, 33 spline axles, and spool. Stock ring and pinion. With welded axle tubes and girdle.

Hotchkis aluminum fixed postion lower contol arms, and XXXXX adjustable uppers. HRParts Antiroll bar kit. Stock rear springs and lakewood 50/50s with dual air bags.

QA1s in front, no sway bar

Aluminum ATR Drive shaft

TH400 trans with 4000stall and t brake

I'm shooting for 3,200# car with driver and cage.

Off-center Stage II with solid roller, ported aluminum GN1s, good rods and crank JE 9.0 comp pistons, 150lb/hr injectors, precision front mount, CPP sheet aluminum intake with 75mm throttle body, GT42 turbo, and rediculous fuel system.......

I will refuse to take the car to the track until I've tuned to 900rwhp....

I'm looking to run 8.80-9.20.... Does this combo seem reasonable?

chitown's gonna need spots. lol

Whats up Cliff, I talk to your buddy Don in Bartlett all the time. You need to help him out with his GN so he can get some miles on it this summer. :)

I told Don to give me a call whenever he was gonna work on his GN, and that I'd be happy to stop buy and give him a hand, I'm wondering if he decided to wait until warmer weather to work on his ride or what?

And NO SPOTS for anyone! :cool:

never forget one thing......

DR BOOST
THE PEOPLE'S CHAMPION '02, '03, '04
and soon to be '05

you have witnessed what happens when u get the Gorilla angry.

The gorrilla ran faster than the bunny no doubt, but was unable to catch him. :D

And we'll see about the 05 title.....dont be frightened by a little parachute.....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Originally posted by turbocliff
Thanks for your response Lou! What is the weight of your car?

Also, maybe some of you could chime in on your thoughts of what I'm planning as my combo:

Stock 8.5 Rear with 9" ends, 33 spline axles, and spool. Stock ring and pinion. With welded axle tubes and girdle.

Hotchkis aluminum fixed postion lower contol arms, and XXXXX adjustable uppers. HRParts Antiroll bar kit. Stock rear springs and lakewood 50/50s with dual air bags.

QA1s in front, no sway bar

Aluminum ATR Drive shaft

TH400 trans with 4000stall and t brake

I'm shooting for 3,200# car with driver and cage.

Off-center Stage II with solid roller, ported aluminum GN1s, good rods and crank JE 9.0 comp pistons, 150lb/hr injectors, precision front mount, CPP sheet aluminum intake with 75mm throttle body, GT42 turbo, and rediculous fuel system.......

I will refuse to take the car to the track until I've tuned to 900rwhp....

I'm looking to run 8.80-9.20.... Does this combo seem reasonable?

My car weighs in at 3560 or so. It sounds like you have a solid plan in place. but in my opinion you are going to have and pretty much gut the car to get that 3200 lbs target w/ driver. Mine weighs 3345 w/o driver that includes about 130 lbs in ballast.

Thanks Lou, I know I'll have to work some magic to obtain that weight figure, but this is how I think I'll get close to it:

Right now my ttop GN weighs #3500 even with me in it. I have already removed the heat and a/c, but the compressor was still on the car. The new turbo will be about 35lbs heavier - lol, but I will have aluminum heads, and a aluminum sheet metal intake. I will also have aluminum rear control arms, drive shaft, cross member, bumper supports, core support, and motor mounts. I will be removing all of the sound deadening material behind the rear seats, underneath the carpeting, behind the dash, in the doors, and inside the rear quarters. I will also be installing a chromoly 8 pt. roll bar, which will add about 100lbs. Then I will cut out the impact supports inside the doors, remove the power door lock motors, remove everything but wiring from behind the dash, and the gas tank will be replaced with an aluminum equivilent. Also, under the hood, the a/c compressor will be removed, the wiper motor and wipers, the power steering pump will be removed, and the steering box replaced with a manual one. Also, the QA1s I imagine are quite a bit lighter than running stock springs and shocks in front. There's more I'm forgetting, I'm sure, but you see where I'm going....

I wonder how much the parachute weighs......;)

Cliff

Well you're kind of right, I can't really predict what it will run, however, I wont rest until it weighs 3,200-3,250 with driver, and puts down 900+ rwhp on Pete's dyno...... :eek:

Originally posted by turbocliff
Thanks Lou, I know I'll have to work some magic to obtain that weight figure, but this is how I think I'll get close to it:

Right now my ttop GN weighs #3500 even with me in it. I have already removed the heat and a/c, but the compressor was still on the car. The new turbo will be about 35lbs heavier - lol, but I will have aluminum heads, and a aluminum sheet metal intake. I will also have aluminum rear control arms, drive shaft, cross member, bumper supports, core support, and motor mounts. I will be removing all of the sound deadening material behind the rear seats, underneath the carpeting, behind the dash, in the doors, and inside the rear quarters. I will also be installing a chromoly 8 pt. roll bar, which will add about 100lbs. Then I will cut out the impact supports inside the doors, remove the power door lock motors, remove everything but wiring from behind the dash, and the gas tank will be replaced with an aluminum equivilent. Also, under the hood, the a/c compressor will be removed, the wiper motor and wipers, the power steering pump will be removed, and the steering box replaced with a manual one. Also, the QA1s I imagine are quite a bit lighter than running stock springs and shocks in front. There's more I'm forgetting, I'm sure, but you see where I'm going....

I wonder how much the parachute weighs......;)

Cliff

Been there done all of that and I'm stilll 3380 and I wiegh 185. I can take out the crash bars in the doors and maybe a few other things but the least I can see is 3300. I also still have a full interior so you can save more with race seats and no back seat. If you go with fiberglass doors and deck lid you can get there but you most likely won't with just a hood and bumpers. At this point though you are really heading towards a gutted race car and if 8.90's is your goal you shouldn't need to go this far. You will need a roll cage and not a bar.

For rear suspension I run all of HR Parts stuff and have had pretty good success. I have rear coil overs but they aren't necessary to duplicate what I've done. I haven't left with more than 8-10 psi and have been pretty consistent 1.34-1.38 last few track outtings. With fresh tires this spring I think I can get in the low 1.30's high 20's with a little harder launch. Very nice suspension for the street. My car was VERY sensitive to shock adjustment and I run the QA1's.

I do have a 9" ford and would suggest the same before you sink a bunch of $$ in the 8.5". It'll work but you will still run the chance of busting ring gears. I broke one in a mid 10 sec car that also took out the trans and thrust in the engine. Something to think about.

I would take it to the track before the dyno. If you tune it on the dyno don't trust it on the track. Mine was SUPER rich on the dyno and just right on the track without any changes. I couldn't even get the car to run without leaning it out. The chassis dyno dosen't seem to load a turbo motor the same and IMO the problem is compounded with a higher HP engine. I made 820 BTW. Good luck with your combo. It looks like it'll work although I'm not familiar with the GT42.
Chris Lyons
87 GN 9.01@153

Thanks for your input Chris.

I know I need and 8 point "cage", but call it a bar, sorry. Also, after considersation, I believe I will be going with the Strange Dana 60 in lue of building up the stocker. Stronger than a 9", but takes less power to turn. I know this rear will not help me with the weight goal. I will be doing as much trickery as I can under the car to save weight, but I will not sacrifice any of the interior with the exception of adding the cage. Factoy seats front and back, carpet, ect. should all look stock. Also, I'll see how light I can get the car while retaining the steel bumpers, hood, deck lid, and doors. If I can't get the car under #3300 with driver, then I'd invest in fiberglass hood, front fenders, and deck lid. I don't want to have fiberglass bumpers, cause I just don't like how they look. I want my GN to look 100% stock on the exterior with the exception of rims, tires, lowered, and the inconspicous roll cage- lol.

And the GT42 is a new style large frame turbo from Garret that has a 91mm compressor wheel, and range of exhaust housings, but I will prolly have a .69 A/R....I think. This turbo is available in dual ball bearing, but thats too much $ for me. Should be able to support in excess of 1100hp.

Cliff

And the GT42 is a new style large frame turbo from Garret that has a 91mm compressor wheel, and range of exhaust housings, but I will prolly have a .69 A/R....I think. This turbo is available in dual ball bearing, but thats too much $ for me. Should be able to support in excess of 1100hp.

Cliff,

Sounds like a good combo, I have a customer we built almost identical, cept for the rear suspension being all Wolfe racecraft parts. I used the GT42, non BB, he's been a best of 9.10@148 on 26lbs of boost. He's also been a best of 1.28 60ft. and weighs in around 3200lbs. We expect somewhere around 8.80-8.90 at around 29-31lbs of boost. I believe you have the compressor wheel size mixed up though. The inducer side is 74mm, making it a 74 turbo, not a 91. Thats the largest available wheel of the 2 they offer.