whoops

.38 special

all spooled up
I just put a set of e.t. streets on my car, and I know not to drive in the rain with them, but then again I never claimed to be the brightest star in the sky. I will probably get a bunch of post on how stupid I am, but I thought I would share this humorous story with you anyway. Yesterday was the only chance that I would have this week to get the car over to the tire shop to get some street tires put on the rims--well basically I had to switch rims and I was left with only the slicks to get me there. It just happened to be raining. I was driveng very cautiously drown the road at about 50 mph, taking every corner and lane change carefully--very easy on the throttle. I was going straight when it happened. 50 mph max, right in front of a high school at about 4'clock--obviously alot of traffic. When all of a sudden my car felt the need to do a 720 degree turn. I did not provoke it. I did not punch it or even tap the brake. It did it all on it's own out of the blue. When I stopped spinning I was on the other side of a 4 lane road facing on-coming traffic, but still on the road at least, very near to a telephone pole. Amazing. I did not hit anything-how-I don't know. Traffic was at a total stop. They were wondering what the hell got into me, especially since I was laughing hysterically. It was quite funny after I realized I didn't hit anything. I don't know what I would do if I wrecked my baby.
In conclusion, Let this be a warning, Never,ever,ever drive in the rain with slick or e.t streets or anything more than drag radials--no matter how tempting or how much fun you think you might have.

Glad to hear you didn't wreck her. Sometimes we're put in situations like that to warn us. Did you ever get the street tires put on her?

ET STREETS

when i discovered ET STREETS and a wet street dont mix, my heart skipped a few beats, i was coming down hill and my GN felt like it was ice skating, i had to pump the brakes to slow the car down & was lucky no cars were around when my car stopped at an intersection, somebody up above was lookin out for me.

I did the same thing, but not with ET streets, but rather, regular radials, oh my, spun towards the other lane WITH TRAFFIC COMING AGSINT ME, and made every effort to get the car the other way, which i proceeded to do a 180 back around into a big (thankfully ditch-less) patch of grass aside the road... i was scared ****less, until i realised i hit absolutely nothing, but came close to killing myself in oncoming traffic, allthat happened to my car was a TON of grass got kicked up under the wheel wells when i tried in a futile attempt to get free of the wet soggy grass :p.

I was doing about 10 mph, and i was cominmg off of a easy left hand turn, and i barely even gave it enough gas to get out of its own way... .. but since ive been driving with '87 rims on the back, and BFG radial t/a's, the rain has been much easier to drive in... I think the combo of the light stock aluminum wheels and SLX 5000 tires dont mix in the rain :p

I've done that, on radial t/a's. Gave it too much gas coming around a corner (if anyone read my S2K thread, you now know I'm a dumbass) and spun. Don't feel bad.

Yeah, I almost spun my car the other day on radial ta's i was exiting onto the freeway, I was doing about 70, I gave it very very little throttle, and the car got all kinds of sideways:eek: !! We also learned the hard way about et streets, on my dad's viper, he was driving, and it just suddenly started to rain, the car did a 360, that was freaky:D

Sam Sloan

Originally posted by boostin
I've done that, on radial t/a's. Gave it too much gas coming around a corner (if anyone read my S2K thread, you now know I'm a dumbass) and spun. Don't feel bad.

Yea, but you're the type of person who drives their parent's GN and then goes and races everything you see (ref. explorer kill.. etc) .. not very smart.. soemtimes cars just lik ebeing driven ;)

in this case, it was normal driving conditions for everyone ;p

Hmmmm
I just had the opposite experience. I drove the TTA with ET-Streets on wet roads the other day (just a drizzle) and was thinking I would get no traction at all, but was surprised how well it did hook. No slippin' and sliding, just a bit of hazing at full power up to about 50.

These stories remind me of the first week I had the GN. I was at the intersection in front of my insurance office just finished the paper work to add the GN on my policy and it was drizzling lightly. At the green I punched it and about halfway thru the intersection boost came up and the rearend did the Watusi all over the road I came to a stop facing the way I had just come with a big S**t eating grin on my face and nearly a load in my shorts. Boost and rain = :(

Well, come on. Do you know how exciting it is to drive a GN after you've been stuck with a Mustang for a year?