Who should pay

six is enough

Tweaked has a new Home
Long story but will try to keep it short. A little over a year ago I took my race car to a person out west to have the car backhalved and set up to run low eights and even sevens on a good day. After investing lots and I mean lots of money I get a call that they are ready to take the car down the track. The car never made a full pass,due to missing and sputtering. On the fourth attempt the car died and low and behold it melted four pistons and of course the valves where ruined. Now they want me to pay for parts to rebuild the motor. Not sure as to other charges yet. As I had already been charged to freshen up the motor Iam not sure if this is right or not. I will not name this person at this time I am only looking for opinions on what is right.

Sadly, it is a race car. No one I know of gives a written guarantee on racing components but you might be able to coerce them into fixing it but with the current economic climate, I doubt it.

How 'bout some pix of the carnage?
Where do you race it?

Yes they freshened the motor and where in charge of tuning it. I do not have pictures as the car is still out there.

Sounds like they should be responsible. If I had a customers car in my shop to rebuild the engine and tune it, and I blew it up because the tune was so far off, I should be responsible for making things right.

Sounds like they should be responsible. If I had a customers car in my shop to rebuild the engine and tune it, and I blew it up because the tune was so far off, I should be responsible for making things right.

+1

Melting 4 pistons is not your fault if they are the ones that put the engine together AND tuned it.

+2 their fault no doubt!

Yes I was there was not driving the car thou. The car never made a decent run. Boost controller was set at twenty pounds. Would not even leave the line hard. They think the fuel might be the reason for the damage. Fuel they used was sunoco maximal.

was it somebody from the shop driving it. if they said they think it was the fuel THEY used, sounds like they admitted guilt to you. go about it nicely and if they give you crap, tell them civil suit is pending and let all of us know who they are. if it's a well known and reputable shop known on here they might just make right with you to avoid what could be a major loss of business