Who Sells a Good Built 200r4?

Triple

I'd rather be riding!
My dad owns a 1968 Chevelle with a pretty basic carbed 350, putting out about 300 hp. Right now he's running a TH350, but he wants something with overdrive.

Naturally, as a Chevy man, he went running straight for the 700r4's. I think the 200r4 is a better choice; it's the same size as the TH350, so it should bolt right in without too much modification, and I know they can be built to take power. You turbo Buick guys are about the only group around that gives the 200r4 any respect.

Now, his engine is only kicking out 300 hp, so it's no monster. Still, he wants something he can get on when he feels like it, and something that is going to last with the rest of the car. I know that there are companies out there that sell beefed up 200's (mostly to you Buick guys), but I don't know their names.

If you can give me names or contact information, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance--

My friend is in a similar boat. He has a 69 Olds cutlass with a built 455. I sent him the way of Jack Cotton.

Jack's builder really does some great work. I have been all over the place before having people rebild my trans until I got to Jack. I am still impressed with it, and he is always easy to talk to if you ever have any problems with it. His basic trans is 995 and if I remeber right has a 1 year 12k warranty on it. Only go with recommeded builders, there arent a lot that can really build an overdrive right it seems.

http://www.cottonsperformance.com

THM-350 to THM-2004R

Hi,

I've looked into this swap for my Chevy truck. It's a shortwheelbase truck (probably like your dad's). Even with a short wheelbase, the trans has a 9" tail housing. Your dad's is probably the same (check it with a tape). This is 3" longer than the 2004R. So, your driveshaft is about 3" short.

You can make a longer driveshaft, but might experience vibration and bushing wear problems. Afterall, if running a short shaft was a good idea, it probably would have come stock with the 6" tailhousing.

The good news is that the frame is drilled to position the crossmember for the THM-400. The 400 has roughly the same mount location as the 2004R. It is different by about 3/16". A slotted mounting hole would take care of this.

Other good news, the emergency brake cable should clear the crossmember in this location (don't know if it will clear the tranny case). With a 700R4, you would have to modify the cable setup and crossmember.

Let me know how it turns out. I'm seriously considering doing this swap to my truck.

Bry593:)

Doh, somehow thought your dad's cvelle was a van.....

Must have had a brain fault or something.....:eek:

I talked with Dad today. ....

I talked with your Dad today. Neat guy and if you guys need anything, don't hesistate to give a shout. :D
Also, Cottons builder is Eric Shertz. I hooked them up. Eric is one helluva neat, neat guy. We have gotten close and he does do great work.
Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com

Silver Sleeper,

I have a 71 olds with a 69 455 in it connected to a 200R4 and 4:11 gears.

I have to say I had a little grief with setting it up but with the help of this board and Bruce I've finally got it set up and have been whooping on it everyday.

What I love the most about the set up is the sick off the line response and still have the ability to pull 2600 rpms at 80 mph. Tell your bud I suggest buying the B&M automatic lockup controller. Its a little expensive but it connects to the speedometer cable and is fully adjustable from 30-90MPH where the lockup will accur. It also has a button to turn the lock-up off.

Good luck.