Who has USAA Auto Insurance???

graza002

Nucking Futs
The other day I was going over my insurance policies with my carrier USAA and I ran into some questions. I have full coverage including theft on my 87 GN but they are telling me that if something happens I will only be covered for market value on an 87 Regal....which as we all know is a HUGE difference in value. They do have collector car insurance, and I guess my main question for the individuals who have USAA or have any other input...What exactly do I need for coverage? I just want to make sure that my vehicle has the proper coverage on it.

Thanks All!

I have USAA on everything accts, loans, etc. Not sure on the collector car insurance thing but twhen I got my loan years ago through them for the GN they recognized it as a specialty car for the loan so my loan ceiling was way higher than a reg regal.

I have collector car coverage through the Automobile Club. Rates are inexpensive but I believe you need to limit use to under 5000 miles per year and no home to work use. They will cover the market value of the vehicle.

i had my buick covered by usaa as well till i found out if something happend to the car i wouldn't get squat. i now got the buick cover by american collectors insurance for about $580 for 35K

I had the same issue with USAA. They said an 85 Regal was worth about $1200... I had to stick with it though, since my GN was my only driver, but I finally got another vehicle for the wife, so the GN doesn't have to get driven as much. Now that I limit my mileage, I could get collectors car insurance through a sub group of USAA called American Modern Insurance. They are like $150 a year, $18k coverage, no deductible, 6k miles a year, etc. You have to have another vehicle, and this one has to be in a garage.

http://www.amig.com/index.html

I have USAA and after talking with them several years ago I found out that I would be covered for the car's value. I looked into their collector insurance and it was very strict - to and from car shows and car club meetings only.

Not if it is their AMIG like I posted above. You are allowed to drive it a few times a week, can carry over your mileage allowance from one year to the next, and if you are going over due to Power Tour or something you can call and let them no and they just charge a tiny bit more that month or something.

I"m an insurance agent appointed with Grundy's and I have my GN insured for $15000 for $249/year and they have no mileage restrictions... just my $.02

True story here - I totaled a Turbo T back in 2004 that was covered by USAA. It was a very nice car. I had receipts in excess of 20K for everything that had been put into it.

USAA at first offered me $2100 for it. We want back and forth for over six months until we finally had to go into arbitration. I ended up getting $11,500 from them.

Needless to say, my current T is covered by Grundy's, and my daily drivers by USAA.

USAA is a great company - but just not collector car friendly for TRs.

Rob

If the VIN number is on the insurance policy you are covered for that type of car.

At least in theory and probably by law.

I don't have that company and was low balled regular Regal value for my car when totalled. :mad:

I held out for the proper settlement value and had my appraisal and fair market value well documented at the time. :smile:

Just my .02 and even after dealing with me and my attitude ;) they gave me a decent price to buy it back for. :cool:

Never stopped driving it either. :biggrin:

If all else fails, check to see if there's an "arbitration" clause in the insurance papers, a third party appraisal may just be decided in your favor if there's an issue with coverage. :)

I've been with USAA for 20 years, but I'll soon be switching the Buicks to another company.

I switched to GIECO from USAA a couple years back. When I picked up my TR the other day I specifically asked how they decide payout if it was stolen or wrecked. They said that they base it on book value. If you run the VIN it comes up as turbo charged and book on that is around 13k in average condition, so I'm good. No special insurance or anything.

I know thye have my proper VIN. The second year I owned the car - I bought it new in 1986 - they increased my rates almost 75% because they reclassified the car as high performance.

I know thye have my proper VIN. The second year I owned the car - I bought it new in 1986 - they increased my rates almost 75% because they reclassified the car as high performance.

Trust me, they had my proper VIN. If anything happens to your car, you will experience what I did. I will never use USAA for a classic car, and would not recommend anyone use them unless you can get them to agree on a value. As mentioned by another in this thread, USAA does offer classic car insurance but I believe they are pretty restrictive with the usage of the covered vehicle.

WOW...thanks alot guys. Ive had USAA for years and overall never had a problem, including when I was hit in my 2006 Acura by a hit and run. Everything was taken care of no questions asked.

Luckily, if I do decide to cut the Buick from USAA, I will still get all of my discounts due to the fact they handle the insurance for my house as well as my two other cars. I just like the ease and simplicity of only having one insurance bill, but when it all comes down to it, I need my car covered correctly.

As far as the GN goes, I have about 25K in it with receipts. I drive it less than 3K or 4K miles a year. Right now its listed as a pleasure driver with full coverage, including theft, but that doesn't really mean much if its only covered for 1200. My car is also placed in a garage at my house.

I'm going to try to talk to USAA about the collector car insurance, just due to the fact I already have them. You never know, they may have changed their rules and coverage around. Needless to day, whatever I get for coverage, I'm going to make sure I have the entire extent of the coverage guaranteed and in writing.

Anyone else? I am always up for good information. Again, THANKS TO ALL!!!

i had my buick covered by usaa as well till i found out if something happend to the car i wouldn't get squat. i now got the buick cover by american collectors insurance for about $580 for 35K

I went online and requested a quote. For a 28K value, its saying 361.00 and I'm assuming that's for 6 months. Ill give them a call in the morning to hear what they have to say.

Wow, good info here. They have been my insurer for over 13 years, 10 for the GN. Have had great experiences with them but knowing this, I may change for the GN.