Who has the best head gasket?

rarperformance

It'll go or it'll blow
What is the best head gasket to use when building these motors? I plan on using ARP head studs also. The car will be raced every so often. I just want something that will be drivable and hold when I put my foot down.

What is the best head gasket to use when building these motors? I plan on using ARP head studs also. The car will be raced every so often. I just want something that will be drivable and hold when I put my foot down.

I like and use the Fel-Pro 9441 pt head gaskets. So far 6 years of use with them with a GT6776S turbo running 21 psi boost without any problems so far.

Lots of talk on this. Not sure anyone really answers? Either MLS or graphite with brand would be nice.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...graphites are a good fuse. But when making 500+ RWHP MLS are the best. However when MLS go they will take head material with them.

My personal choice is Victor Reinz...but if you lack the necessary tuning skills...then it doesn't matter what brand of head gasket you use.

My personal choice is Victor Reinz...but if you lack the necessary tuning skills...then it doesn't matter what brand of head gasket you use.

The GM graphite work great.. they blow when you do something silly instead of sending the crank out the bottom ...

The cometics / MLS require the proper finish on the block and heads to seal right ..

The stocker's have been pushed to 600+ hp without issues as long as you can tune.

if that car in your avatar is yours, I doubt you need to ask anyone here about head gaskets. Maybe you should ask your machinist what he's comfortable with because the machining will matter on some of the head holding gaskets out there. There's a given an take to each gasket version out there pretty much

With the set up I'm running, I should be around 500+hp so I want something that will hold. Thanks for the info guys and especially on the issue with the ARP studs.

You will get as many replies to this question as there are people on the board.

Different people with different experiences have different opinions

So here is my personal experience.

Cometics have worked well and given me no issues as long as the block and head surfaces were prepped my the finish placed on them from the machine shop. Thank you Weber Racing

GM / Victor Reinz. Victors seem to be the closest to GM materials I have seen. I will admit it has been a while but they look to be the same. I have sued these successfully in many builds were a stock or minor mods engine was being used. They provided excellent reliability and are excellent stock replacement. No special surfacing to the mating surfaces needed.

Hope this info helps

Interesting stuff. Currently I'm using cometics and having issues with little water loss. Best to my knowledge block and heads are the correct finish, VRs or RJCs are looking good.

Interesting stuff. Currently I'm using cometics and having issues with little water loss. Best to my knowledge block and heads are the correct finish, VRs or RJCs are looking good.

You use any copper spray over the gasket?

Cometics are my first choice for any Buick V6 engine over 600+ RWHP.

I like Cometics because I can get nearly any thickness I need from .020 to .100" . This allows me to use the gasket to control Squish and Compression Ratio. The proper head and deck surface finish are absolutely necessary with MLS gaskets or you can expect water loss. I always separate the gasket layers, clean the gaskets with soap and water and spray each mating surface with Hylomar. The spray Hylomar is hard to find and expensive.........but not optional in my book.

The stock GM composite or VR gaskets (and TTY bolts) are actually really good gaskets! Composite gaskets like a rougher surface finish. The rougher finish grabs and holds gasket material. The soft material fills the voids in the surface and leakage isn't usually a problem (with flat surfaces). I have used stock gaskets reliably to 500-550 RWHP (without detonation of course).

Your other two choices for head gasket are the Felpro Wire-loc gaskets or the "RJC" stainless steel shim gaskets.

I don't personally like the Wire-loc gaskets because you need O-ring grooves machined into the head. If this is done right, They may or may not work great.
I have machined the grooves off several sets of heads to avoid using this gasket. Many guys use these gaskets and swear by them. Not my first choice.

RJC started supplying steel shim gaskets when GM discontinued their steel shim gaskets for the Buick V6. Many guys love these gaskets and use them with great success. A special GE RTV sealer is used with these gaskets to seal them up. Many guys claim that a lifted head can often be resealed by re-torqing the heads bolts/studs.