Who has sold their TR and kicked themselves for it?

Amelio

I have gone back and forth about selling my car....My current '87 GN is the 3rd one I have had.

I had two previous cars that I lost both to bad wrecks.

I have been in a Turbo Buick since 1998 and I have to say they are awesome and when its right there is not much like the feeling it gives you.

Here lately I have been really wanting some new/modern muscle......all my friends have new/newer cars.... Super charged Mustangs, LS cars etc..... I am faster than all of them but to me that's not really a big deal. I find myself really wanting the nice newer bells and whistles along with the power.

I am really digging the new C7 in a big way....the more I look at them the more I want one......

The problem is I would need to sell the GN to make it happen.........

On one hand I really like the GN but I have had it for a while....I have had my ass kicked countless times and it is an old car and you always will have to work on it. I guess I am just a little burnt.

I am also always wrenching on my '69 vette so keeping up 2 cars has worn me out. I like wrenching but on 2 cars is tough. I guess I just want something new that I can get in and drive and not have to touch anything and it hauls ass and does what it is supposed to do every single time.

So I am curious...who has sold their car and hated it......

did you buy another one or did you get something else and are happy with it?

I do have to say one of the best things I like is the Turbo community.....out of all the cars I think the Turbo Buicks has the strongest and friendliest community.

I have been Buickless for a while. After having a fleet of them it was time to move on.:cool:

I had a BEAUTIFUL white T that I bought from a buddy, then ended up getting an offer I couldn't refuse. I couldn't refuse it at the time, but now regret it. It was such a beautiful car! I owned a 2005 Cad CTS-V, but missed my turbo Buicks! Here are a few pics of the T:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/this-is-why-i-have-to-sell-my-85-gn.390634/

I sold my 85 IC converted car since I had the white T, then sold the white T. Still have my 87 25.5 race/street car, but I need a more family friendly Buick so it is being sold on ebay right now. I can't go without one of these Buicks, they really get into your blood. It's not just the cars either, it's the folks you meet owning one, local and across the world. I have another 87 GN roller on its way to SoCal hopefully this week or next, and it will be time to make it as nice as the white T I owned!

Gotta love these cars.

Last edited:
had a jinxed tr and almost sold it to get a 00 camaro. i held out. w a xmas bonus i had a choice to hold on to that car make it a 10 sec car or move on. i sold tbe car but i couldnt stay out of it long. as soon as i had $ in hand i was looking at gns again. for me the appeal ia bc tbeyre different. everyone goes and buys a chevelle mustang etc. i juat wanted to be different. dont get me wrong i hit lotto there be a few trs and lots of others lol. the nice thing about moder muscle they come w warranties. but i doubt ill ever get out of trs. no matter what i will always have one even if its my only car.

I agree that having too many cars even just to maintain and not wrench on isn't ideal and I've recently thought about dropping down to three from four, but on the other hand it's tough to rationalize if you've enjoyed the vehicles and the hobby.

I'm on my fourth TR since 2000 and like that it's a car that doesn't need work and shouldn't be modified, and need to appreciate it more in that regard and view the Cobra as the faster modified car.

I do miss the 10 sec roller cam car I owned and a fast stocker also but they're gone and I can always get another someday. This is the mentality that leads to owning too many vehicles!! Vicious cycle but enjoyable hobby.

I recently met a retired couple on my Jeep vacation in Moab that sold many very expensive vintage races cars and traveled the world by personal yacht and now stateside with a truck camper pulling a Jeep, and they have no regrets. That and some other life experiences prove to me that one will know when it's time to move on and enjoy other chapters of life.

And about that C7...I hope the electronic issues I had with my 05 C6 don't appear in the new ones.

Last edited:
I've owned 13 of them over the years. Situation dictated as to why I went thru so many of them. Mainly being in the Marines Corps 20+ years. Moving, deployments, etc. if I can't enjoy them to the fullest, I would just pass them on. Better than sitting.... Do I retreat getting rid of any of them....NAH. Now that I retired, it's only a matter of time before I get another one. In the mean time, I will enjoy my T/TA. It's a very fun car too.

Ray

its a very tough decision for me.....a large part of the problem is the value of the cars right now.......if the values were higher and I had people wanting to buy the car it would be easier.

Selling this car would be a pain.......

Part of me wants to keep it and the other part wants something newer.......I have also been thinking of selling my Hayabusa also....I just wanna simplify a little and reduce the stuff I have to maintain.

I do have options....I have thought of trading my 2012 Super Duty on a new Vette but then I would have to go out and buy another truck to pull my 28' trailer. I don't drive my truck everyday because I have a company vehicle but when I do it is really nice. I have a hard time letting my truck go but it is an option.

As I get older I just view things differently and things that were important are no longer as much........

I just need more money....then things get easier to decide what you want lol!

I have thought of selling both Buicks and buying an older Viper. One car and just a cruiser:rolleyes:

Don't do it. I regret selling my last Limited horribly. At least it's owned by a member again so I can see how it's doing :D

Sell the truck AND trailer....then get your Vette......but, don't let that TR go. I can tell you're really wrapped up in that thing.

Or do it the easy way: Flip and coin, THEN DO IT! end of problem.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Lol, i got my WE4 off a member here .... 6 month after i got it he messaged me to see if i wanted to sell it back to him long story short, he ended up buying another TR ..... don't sell it unless your really sure cause the TR bug might bite ya again!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

i dont think i could ever go without owning a TR. currently its my daily driver and its a blast

Amelio: I'm sort of in the same boat. Too many cars, not enough dough. I'm currently down to a couple of Buicks (Sold all the 87's and kept the 86's - because everyone knows that they're faster.:D)
Actually, the "boss" still gives me grief about selling her 87T!

Anyway, also been kicking around the idea of selling in order to de-clutter/ raise a few bucks to pay off some debt and that sort of stuff. (I'd like a new toy as well but the debt needs to go first)

I've been into these cars since my first one in 1992. I've always loved these stupid cars and think I'll probably always have one but, lately the need to simplify my life has been at the forefront of my thoughts. The market, as you mention, is in a bad state. People are having a hard time giving their cars away. Sadly, this is simply not the time to sell and not loose your shirt...

Don't do it now. Wait until the values come up. These cars are classics now and interest is growing. All the guys who experienced one in highschool are now in their mid 40's. They are not ready to buy that midlife crisis car yet, but they will be in 5-10 years. There are many times that I get frustrated with mine. I don't like how quirky it is and that I'm always chasing after a problem. I don't like that no matter what I do to it, it is still an 80's car with poor fitting body panels and crappy frameless windows. I don't like the poor quality of the aftermarket parts. I don't like how I become obsessed with getting everything right and it takes away from me putting effort into my late grandfather's '59 LeSabre that just sits there with boxes piled on it. If the money was right, I would probably sell mine and put the money into the LeSabre. All that said, I still love it and given what they are going for right now, there is no way in hell I'd get rid of it. If I sold my car for anything under $40k I would deeply regret it for a long time.

I kick myself for not selling mine a couple of years ago for a pile of cash.

Is your sig still accurate?

I see you have several Buick powered toys :cool:

ya still have them. BUT IF someone offered enuff $$$$ they would go. :D Remember I am old an the ol attention span isn't as good as it use to be. Funny how guys say they would NEVER sell their cars. See if they have em after 25/30 years!! Back in the dark ages we had an original 427 Cobra, 65 396/425hp Vette, 70 Mach 1 Cobra jets and a slew more including Buicks and TTA's. NEVER looked back. Kinda like been an an "had" it. :p

I secretly want a TTA but I will only allow myself one toy. I would regret letting my black car go. It just wouldn't be the same even though I rarely drive it.

I'm 38 and have owned 21 cars in my life. I can attest to the fact that most cars lose their novelty after awhile. I don't truly regret selling any of them at this point. I still look back on a few fondly and miss them once in awhile. I've had the GN 16 years now. Way longer than anything else. The biggest reason I still have it is because it was always worth way less than I've had in it lol. These cars are addictive though. By far my favorite go fast car.