Who has had their floors replaced?

87gninpa

I know the easiest thing to do would be to sell the car and find a nicer one, but Ive had it since high school and just cant sell it. Anyway, its about time to have the paint done (again, hopefully right this time), but before that I need to get new floors in the car. Has anyone had a shop weld in new floor pans (Ill bring it to them with the interior stripped)? What did it end up costing? If anyone knows of a shop within reasonable distance of Philadelphia, PA please let me know. Might be hard to find someone even willing to tackle it.

Since you're in the Philly area call Mr Kirban and see if he has someone that could do it reasonably.:)

I know a body shop that might be interested. I`ll ask them if there interested and get back to you.Dont forget to remove the glass to! Ask me how I know!

The sparks from the cutting wheel will pit your windows. Ask me how I know. At least tape cardboard over all inside the windows. Also the insulation under the backseat is really flammable.

I was quoted over 1K for putting in new floors. I just bought a $400 wire welder & learned to weld myself. I blundered my way through it and was happy with the results.

If you do it yourself, pm me and I can save you some aggravation so you don't make the mistakes I did.

I bought my pan from G-body.(free shipping). it is getting harder to find someone to work on older cars, they like insurance work..can't blame them either. I found a guy that works for a body shop that does side work. so he put my full floor pan in and I had some issues on my rocker panels and he did some cutting and patch work as well. he then etched primed and primed the floor and rockers..he also fixed a small hole up around the rear seat area. He did all this for 800.00 which I thought was reasonable..

Wow, really? I would take that deal in a heartbeat. I have a feeling I might need some slight inner rocker work. Outers look good, but Im sure if the floor is rotten the inners have some damage.

As far as doing them myself, I only have a one car garage thats big enough for the car and the car only. Not going to leave the car outside without floors for weeks while I try to put it back together.

I talked to a lot of people to see if they knew somebody, that knew somebody, that knew somebody.. and finally found somebody.. thats probably why I'm on my 3rd year of this restoration...but what the heck

I put in the Drivers side Pan, haven't gotten around to the passenger or rear, both need it badly.
Brought a Miller MIG Welder and taught myself how to weld. Had been doing body work on cars for 10 years as a hobby so it was a next step for me.

You definitely need to cover the glass (welding blankets) when grinding and esp when welding. I've got pits in the windshield and had to have Door Glass replaced for that very reason.

Yeah, most body shops won't take work on our cars with all the rust and all.

They are what we call "production shops". In and out. They make their money on volume and don't want "projects" taking up shop time.

Look around for a "custom" or "restoration" shop. These kinds of shops usually don't do insurance work, don't want the hassle. But they do, well, projects like restorations and such.

It's not hard to weld the pans. I have a one car garage and two cars. It must've took me a year or more from the time I took the floor out till the time I got around to putting a pan in.
The Regal sat out behind the garage the whole time.

I just got mine back.

ForumRunner_20120619_080049.png

ForumRunner_20120619_080037.png