Whizzing air sound under boost???

S

speedy1320

Anyone experience this before? On warm days this is MUCH more noticeable than cold days......

Under Boost, I am hearing a "RUSHING AIR" sound.....almost like an exhaust leak....BUT....the car Boosts FINE and RUNS strong!!!

Now don't get me wrong.....this isn't the Turbo "Whistle" or the sounds normally associated with Turbo Charged Incoming air.....It sounds like it is on the drivers side......but i cannot define it.

I have replaced my IC hoses, Turbo lines, changed the air filter...looked for exhaust leaks......NADA

What the heck could this be????:confused:

Tom

87WE-4
Stock Turbo,32# injectors, CAS V-4, 3"DP, 3" Cat, PP, 14" ATR filter

RE :Jim

Jim, if it is an intake leak how can I find it??? {Spraying the manifold with WD-40 might not show it at idle since it happens under Boost...}

And let me ask you THIS......DID THIS SOUND0 OCCUR WITH YOUR CAR FROM THIS LEAK?

Thanks!!!!

{By the way, I live in the Bordentown area!}

Tom

RE: PRISRIZD

EGR.....REALLY? {This is the "little guy" that taps into the air intake by the MAF right?}

I gotta tell you, I don't know if it could be this, because this sounds more like PRESSURIZED AIR VS DRAWN air.... know what I mean?

Anyway, the EGR is intact and fits warmly into an ATR rubber collar that houses the 14 K&N.......looks good to go IMO

Thanks!!!

Tom

Nope thats MAT, EGR is the round gizmo on the drivers side of your intake manifold. it has a black cover on it. If you reach underneath it you should feel a diaphram. If you have the car running and move this diaphram it should effect the idle.

RE PRISRIZD

AHHHHH gotcha! So are you saying that it's possible that the diaphram has a leak in it? What exactly does this do anyway?

Are you saying that this can be "moved" and thereby I will notice a difference at idle?

Sorry about all the questions......But I am learning FAST Thanks to you guys!

Tom

Re: RE :Jim

Originally posted by speedy1320
Jim, if it is an intake leak how can I find it??? {Spraying the manifold with WD-40 might not show it at idle since it happens under Boost...}

And let me ask you THIS......DID THIS SOUND0 OCCUR WITH YOUR CAR FROM THIS LEAK?

Thanks!!!!

{By the way, I live in the Bordentown area!}

Tom

Hi Tom.

My car had a blowing thru a blade of grass kinda noise. I found it one day when cleaning my engine. There was oil residue blown UP the LS valve cover. The noise went away warm I ASSume due to everything expanding

BTW: I'm in North Jersey, umm..kinda by Morristown..I'm about 1:30 from Etown.

RE: TURBOV6

The IC Hoses were the FIRST place I looked{And I just replaced them for giggles but no change} ....but it SOUNDS EXACTLY like that NASTY NOISE....Only, I am not losing boost And the car is Pulling hard!!!????

I am going to take a Good Hard look at the intake this weekend, as per Jim Testa's idea of a possible manifold leak.

Thanks for all the Good info guys!

Tom

Check the bolts on the turbo. Both on the compressor side and the exhaust side. When I got my new turbo they were loose, and did make a similiar sound. The problem went away after tightning the bolts.

I'd check the egr solenoid hose. I blew it off and heard that hissing w/o a loss in power.