white smoke I need help

mongo

I have a 87 GN with a fresh engine 6K miles. As of late it has started blowing white smoke on occasions. Only at normal operating temperature and only when on the highway above 60MPH. It will blow for about a second and then stop. 5 min later same thing. It still makes good power, is not overheating, and no apperance of water in the oil. I've ordered my scanmaster and it will be in by this weekend. I'm new to the GN world and have never experience this before in other vehicles. Help.

v/r

mongo

the smoke comes from the exhaust pipes so I assume its internal to the engine and not leaking on the exhaust itself. Again I'm new. I could be wrong.

pull the maf pipe off and check in and out pla in the turbo shaft also look for oil on or in the upipe

I would do a leakdown test. Though I agree that you should start with the turbo. It could be a headgasket. Could be leaking a little into the combustion chamber. I blew a head gasket one time and never saw any signs of coolant anywhere. I was "white smoking" though.:biggrin: A leakdown down test will show all kinds of problems.

I did not overfill the oil, I checked as that was my first thought as well. I'll check the turbo and figure out the leak down althought I'm not sure what it is just yet. Question, if I had a head gasket issue would it not blow smoke all the time? The smoke is white and smells like oil if that helps. Thanks for the help.

You're probably going to have to drive it until it gets worse. If it's the turbo, you can't do anything but send it off to be rebuilt, or replace it. If you could determine it's the head gasket for sure, would you spend the money or time to replace it because you get a puff of smoke now and then? I wouldn't.

Does car have vacumn modulator on trans? if so may be leaking vacumn and pulling trans fluid into intake. Replace line

I would look into the turbo leaking oil. The easiest way to tell is to check the turbo outlet to intercooler for traces of oil.

smoke

White smoke = antifreeze,water, blue gray or blue white = oil black = fuel has any of the fluid levels changed to where you've had to replace.If not pull the plugs see if oil or antifreeze is going through one of the cylinders if the plug looks extremely clean or new it's antifreeze oily or dark could be several things piston ring etc.that will eliminate a couple of things pretty simply

Is the car missing out for a split second right before it does it? I had a spark plug wire arcing to the head on a car and it did the same thing. That cylinder wouldn't fire when it arced and turned that cylinder into a air compressor. Believe it or not it only did that at highway speed as far as the white smoke goes. It would miss at idle or once I got to speed and never missed under acceleration. You couldn't see the smoke at idle because the car just didn't push enough exhaust out at idle.