white smoke at startup

S

SLOS-10

My car seems to have a little bit of white smoke at start up. Doesn't look too white, a little grey. I noticed it the other day. Car is basically stock with 009's, 340, and adjustable regulator.

Just wondering what the cause of the smoke is, any ideas?

are the tips kinda oily??

if its truely white, then that aint good allen-

does it do this when the car is hot??

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.
if its truely white, then that aint good allen-
Agreed--white smoke on startup usually means water...and that usually means head gasket (hopefully not worse)

My sisters cars did basically the same thing. At startup it would smoke or when she would be coming to a stop. It ended up being the valve guides and seals. But then again hers was alittle grey instead of white.

checked the oil, it seems to be fine. I talked to Joe the other day in town and he seems to think maybe valve seals. I need to do timing chain and gear, valve springs, and maybe valve seals.

I noticed while walking around the pits at the NATS last year that most of the GN/TRs smoked a little at startup...As long as it doesn't smoke constantly while running or bubbles in the coolant, etc., I wouldn't worry too much about it...

edit...
Remember, though, that only the intake side has valve seals...So even if you do replace the seals on the intake side, your exhaust valve guides may still be a little worn and will probably still smoke a little...But if you're gonna do the springs anyway, it can't hurt to put new seals on...

iv noticed the ported headed cars flog the track more often then stock cars

if it gets worse, then do a compression test

later

Sometimes I get a little white smoke on start-up. My mechanic told me my turbo seal was starting to go. Doesn't smoke at all otherwise.

allen
if its going to be the turbo seal going out, then more than likely the car will do it more often at idle, and do it more when the car is decellerating to a stop-
ive seen it oh too often on other peoples cars
HTH

Mine did the same thing, turned out to be the turbo. worn a bit causing oil to go into the DP. Check the turbo.

Scott

White Smoke = Water............hope its grey and not white. Sounds like you need to do some tuning/compression testing........you get that thermostat in?

i didnt notice anything tonight when i was working on his car-

it didnt puff any smoke, and ran out ok-- just a tad too rich-

it now has 868's and a thrasher 92 for bluetops--
the car doesnt knock at wot or part throttle now-

some issues will be taken care of in the near future, and copy the setup i had on the limited, and hopefully his will run 12.7's at 111 on regular radials :)
later

you plan on helpin me do that bryan??? I popped off the exhaust today, and it doesn't run that much better. Better but not that much.

Should have new exhaust in next week or two. Downpipe should be comin sometime soon too.

The white or grey, its kind of hard to tell, smoke doesn't happen all of the time. Only once in a while.

I got that thermostat in. I used a heavy duty AC DELCO cast iron housing that I got from Superior chevrolet. Same as stock only mych heavier. I can keep the car cool though, at idle it gets warm as a mofo, driving it is fine, but eventually gets pretty hot. Any ideas???

can this just be condensation in the pipes?? does it just do it when its colder out?? Does it do it in 80* weather??