Whirling/whining sound?

After the track visit the other day, I noticed a whirling/whining coming from the rear end of the car. It increases pitch with speed, but if you let off the throttle it goes away? Rear end issue or possible U joint/driveshaft issue? -Ben

Has to be somethin damaged inside there... fluid was new almost 400 miles ago and its silver already... Will have to pull and inspect when the rain moves away... -Ben

There a source for these things? May want to just go ahead and replace all these since its been in there since 1985 Im sure.... >_>

I personally would go with Motive Gear. It's Richmond's "budget" line. That is if in fact what the noise is. Summit or Jegs is where I'd check first. GM 8.5 10 bolt.

A whining rearend is a lot of times as simple as too tight of gear mesh after a gear ratio change. But in your case it probably is a bearing.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Okay Ive got both the inner and out bearings just fine for the pinion, but advance says they've only got the outer race for the pinion. Isnt there supposed to be an inner race as well? 0.o

Its gonna be a pinion bearing,that's toasted. If you are going in there also replace the crush sleeve with a solid pinion spacer it will save you from doing it over again.

Well, just got everything tore apart, and the following is toast:
Bearings (All)
Pinion and Ring
Spider Gears
Passenger Axle Shafter

Ugh.... would almost be cheaper to go posi wouldnt it?

Well, shop I took it to had 2 options for me:
-I can get a new rear end drum-to-drum for just under 1k and be driving this weekend or
-Wait 2 weeks for them to buy the parts needed piece by piece for 1,600ish

The Drum to drum has a 1 year warranty, but the gear ratio is 2.92 and is non-posi like my last 3.42 rear end. Seeing as Ive been riding a motorcycle for 2 weeks in rain (my DD is also currently down....for the past 6 monthes....shop that its at feels like other projects are more important... >_> ) My question is: How bad will the 2.92 rear gears be in there? -Ben

If it were me I wouldn't swap the rear end from the original 3.42 to a 2.92. Your gauges will all be out of whack. I'd just wait a week or two source the parts needed and possibly add the posi for the extra money if I could afford it. Not sure what condition your car is in but I'm pretty meticulous so I'd want everything to stay original if possible. Adding a posi won't kill value if you can afford to do so. Good luck with your decision bud.