Which way to go?

"Blackout"

'87 GN with Walbro, hotwire, adj. fpr, powerplate, 42.5 injectors and TT chip. Last year I came across a deal on a CPT-61. Car ran like garbage. I am considering going back to the stock turbo and putting alky and DR's. Work on the tune rather than try to catch up with the CPT supporting hardware.....I wouldn't be able to buy all the additional support this year for the upgraded turbo either. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

You answered your own quesiton. Get it to run right near stock then do some mods.

You didn't mention if you had a converter that would work well with the 61 or not. IMHO, aside from a good tune, the converter is the most important piece to making a combo work.

You also didn't mention what booost you were running. Some people raise heck about why their car doesn't run as good as they think with this new big turbo..... and you find out they are on 15 psi boost. The closer to stock boost level, the closer to stock HP level you will be no matter how big the turbo is. The higher the boost, the more the bigger turbo will walk away from the stocker on power capability. If you are running low boost and a big turbo... it will probably be a dog..... cause it is much slower to spoolup than the stocker.

IMHO, set a ET goal and find out what you need to get from here to there. Ask alot of questions.....

No, i didn't have a converter for the 61. I was running 20-21 lbs. of boost.
Plan this year is converter and ET Streets with the 61 OR go back to stock turbo ET Streets and alky

I'd go back to the stock turbo...... put some good fuel in it and sneak up on the boost to 21-23 psi. Will still need sticky tires. If it is in the budget.... get Alkycontrol and a matching TT chip.

No, i didn't have a converter for the 61. I was running 20-21 lbs. of boost.
Plan this year is converter and ET Streets with the 61 OR go back to stock turbo ET Streets and alky

yeah think u needed the TC for ur 61 but in my experience i had a t66 19-20bls with a 9.5'' TC 3400-3600 an i didnt like the car at all it didnt run how ill have thought but again it maybe just needed a tune, so i went back to a stocker set-up ta49, ptc 2800' an did a bit of tunning with the SM 2.1 and man i could tell you what a day and night deffrence my car was..