which turbo should I choose????

TTAfreak

I have a TTA with 10k miles on it with the following mods.

Adj wastegate
Razors alky kit
110 # springs
adj FPR
Walbro pump
Hotwire kit
K&N filter
RJC power plate

I want to keep the car nice. It will never be a "race car" thought I probably will take it to Test n Tune a few times a year. I want to see high 11s and keep the car very tame without doing anything that may effect the value in the future (I can always put stock parts back on in place of aftermarket ones)

also, I dont really want to go with a stall or mess with the transmission (unless I absolutely must)

id like to see faster spool up but dont really plan on ever running more than 21 to 23 lbs of boost.

whats my best option for a direct bolt on turbo that wont require any mods to the stock exhaust. (I may do some exhaust later on but for now im leaving that alone as well)

thanks

Without changing the stock stall, you'll have to choose between a GT3255, TE-44 or TA49. All of which will get you to the high 11's, the GT3255 will spool the fastest but may not trap as high mph as the 44 or 49. Probably at least some porting of the exhaust elbow will be required to run those #s and a dump and lots of tuning.

Ditto above. Stick with one of the turbos above. They are the best bang for the buck. Just bolt them on and go. if you want to run more than 25lbs of boost,then think about going bigger. You will have to change your converter then too. Many people have gone mid to high 11s on stock motors and the turbos listed above. I think 12.0 is pretty much a sure thing as long as everything is set up right.

I just put on a GT3255 on may bascially stock TTA. It trapped at 108 at 18lbs. And that is with the untouched stock elbow and full stock exhaust w/cat. I will be losing the cat soon and running 20lbs + soon. I am hoping to get it down to at least 12.0s

Dont know if price is an issue or not, but I'll never go back to a non BB turbo. I run a 61mm BB with the larger 4in/ 2.5in. compressor cover. Prices have come down some on them, but it is defiantely worth the cash.....

Just my .02

trading t/a said:
Dont know if price is an issue or not, but I'll never go back to a non BB turbo. I run a 61mm BB with the larger 4in/ 2.5in. compressor cover. Prices have come down some on them, but it is defiantely worth the cash.....

Just my .02

price isnt a huge issue. are we talking a couple hundred bucks or more?

Haven't checked price lately I do know they came down some, could always wait for specials and it'll be cheaper. You can get in touch with Jack Cotton to see on an exact price. That's where I got mine and don't regret spending the bucks on it. I also didn't wanna change converters since the one I had was brand new. So a converter and turbo price was more than just going the BB route........

ok, from what ive read, the GT3255 has become the prefered turbo out of these three. my questions are

does the stock heat shield fit it. would like to keep some resemblance to a stock look.

will my adj actuator I just bought for my stock turbo work with it, or do i need a new one.

You might be able to get the GT3255 in a "TA" compressor housing. Then the turbo sheild and wastegate actuator should fit without any mods. If it comes with a TE housing you will have to mod both to work.

I am kinda partial to the TA49 with a Garret .63 housing. Looks completely stock, spools great and makes good power.

I am kinda partial to the TA49 with a Garret .63 housing. Looks completely stock, spools great and makes good power.

ok, ill look into this. just everything im reading says the GT spools faster.

damnit. decisions, decisions..... :mad:

TTAfreak said:
ok, ill look into this. just everything im reading says the GT spools faster.

damnit. decisions, decisions..... :mad:
You can get the GT3255 with either the TE or the TA compressor cover. The TA is a 2 piece unit like the stocker where the inlet bell comes off.

2QUIK6 said:
You can get the GT3255 with either the TE or the TA compressor cover. The TA is a 2 piece unit like the stocker where the inlet bell comes off.

anyone wanna tell me who they think is the best vendor to buy one from set up for a TA.

:)

stick with a 44 or 49, the new gt3255 will spool faster but you can make more power with the 44 or 49!! but more for a street car i would say gt3255 but for street/strip i would say 49/44. i will put my 49(that i'm selling) up against a gt3255 anyday! :D

turbocody said:
stick with a 44 or 49, the new gt3255 will spool faster but you can make more power with the 44 or 49!! but more for a street car i would say gt3255 but for street/strip i would say 49/44. i will put my 49(that i'm selling) up against a gt3255 anyday! :D

email me at jward007@midsouth.rr.com with the specifics on the turbo you are selling.

price, age, mileage......etc.

:)

My only issue with the GT3255 is that nobody seesm to have any timeslips for this turbo. Everyone say it spools faster than a 44/49, but I can make a 44/49 spool pretty damn fast !

I would like to see a few guys with the gt3255 post some ET's. IMHO that will tell the story. We've all seen and heard of 44/49's going 11.6's and 11.5's. If the 3255 can get you there and spool faster, then it's a winner. If not, stick with the old and proven turbo's.

Don't fall for the hype. Look for the PROOF.

c&cgn said:
My only issue with the GT3255 is that nobody seesm to have any timeslips for this turbo. Everyone say it spools faster than a 44/49, but I can make a 44/49 spool pretty damn fast !

I would like to see a few guys with the gt3255 post some ET's. IMHO that will tell the story. We've all seen and heard of 44/49's going 11.6's and 11.5's. If the 3255 can get you there and spool faster, then it's a winner. If not, stick with the old and proven turbo's.

Don't fall for the hype. Look for the PROOF.
went with a TA-49. it will be here by the end of the week.