Which Permatex sealer do I use on the head bolts ?

turbotaone

I'm getting ready to install the steel shim headgaskets that RJC
Racing sells, the instructions say to use the white Permatex
thread sealer on the head bolt threads. I see that Permatex
makes two thread sealers that are both white, one is a high temperature sealer and the other is a high performance sealer.
Which one do I use, or are they both the same ?

Thanks
James

I have always used Permatex #2 (In a tube somewhat greyish) on the threads of the head bolts, and dipped the head and part of the shaft in a small container of Motor oil.

Worked perfect on my car when I did my heads!

If you're planning on attaining a proper and even head torque, then I hope you are using good ARP bolts and ARP bolt lubricant. Motor oil for a headbolt lube is very inaccurate (although people do use it), but for something that critical, I'd make sure I was using the good stuff. There are different torque specs for each one, so make sure if you use oil, you follow the specs for oil, and if you're using the good thread lube, you'll have a lower torque spec, as listed on the bolt torque spec chart.
The only real difference between the two Permatex thread sealants is their temperature range. 300*+, or 400*+. I think either will be fine for your application.

Yes,I am using ARP head bolts and I just noticed on the
instructions that came with the head gaskets that RJC Racing
says to use the same white permatex under the bolt head and
on the washers also. Does the permatex also act as a lubricant ?

Thanks
James

First thing, I've never actually had to use a thread sealer on my bolts to begin with. I know some folks do, and I guess it's just a decision you have to make for yourself. I always start with them clean the first time, and use ONLY the ARP lubricant. The Permatex sealant will distort the lubrication's torque/drag. I've had one motor that we ended up adding a liquid sealant to the cooling system, per a minor leak, but all other motors I've done have been without thread sealant.

Secondly --- YES, it is a very good idea to retorque the head bolts! This has been an ongoing issue of debate on this board, and you can do a search for some lengthy threads about it, over the past year or so. However, I've dealt with some maticulous engine builders over the years, and they all agree that re-torquing the head bolts is a very good thing to do, and some say it's essential. Think about it this way, you have nothing to lose by doing it, and everything to gain. You can't hurt it by re-torquing them, but, you can prevent possible weak spots from forming if the head may have lifted a little after you've heat cycled the motor, and started to raise the boost.

I always retorque, and I even use the Fel-Pro Wire Lock gaskets.
It's up to you. Spend a little time now to do some preventative maintenance, or take a chance of having to pull the head and replace the gasket, per not being willing to spend half a Saturday retorquing ahead of time.

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll call ARP and order some of
their thread sealant and lube.

James