which engine oil to use...

I give the B penn oil a+++++ An if your buick is not leaking oil there is something wrong with it.;)

engine oil

hi
i have used mobil 1 syn 5/30 ever since i have had the car i noticed it started to leak i started to use mobil i high mileage syn.it stoped leaking it has 132,000 miles on it runs great no leaks.
harold

I use conventional oil and a bottle of EOS. I will add ZDDP after my last 2 bottles of EOS are gone.

what is EOS??

i just bought a bottle of ZINC-PER LUBE replacement additive...it says it has twice amount of high content ZDDP motor oils...anyone ever used thiss stuff...it cost $15..for a treatment..

I've been using Valvoline VR1 Race Oil 20-50, might have to give the Brad Penn a look it's coming pretty highly recommended.

I used that when I first got the car. I switched to 10w-30 and picked up a nice bit of power.
Whatever oil you use stay away from FRAM filters!

what is EOS??

i just bought a bottle of ZINC-PER LUBE replacement additive...it says it has twice amount of high content ZDDP motor oils...anyone ever used thiss stuff...it cost $15..for a treatment..

Thas a big price tag, but then again, us GN owners have really deep pockets?:D :rolleyes:

Any of you use Shell Rotella oil? I hear it's supposedly has enough zinc where a zddp additive is not necessary.

I've heard the "change to synthetic will cause oil leaks". My experience was changing a 150k mile F..d 289 to synthetics & it almost quit leaking.

There's more conventional oils out there than decently priced synthetics to choose from with proper ZDDP or decent antiwear additives for our cars.

There's also plenty of synthetics for more $$$ such as Royal Purple etc. that make good synthetic oils that don't need additives.

That being said Mobil 1 does offer one synthetic that doesn't need the extra additives some use, 15-50 weight.

It can increase leaks, it did on my 155K car when I switched over to synth., but wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be however.

A few extra drops a week not the flood I expected and that was in the old formulation Mobil 1 10-30 version too.

I'd probably stick with a good conventional oil which you can find with the SF, SG, SH, SJ, ratings that work just fine.

Kendall GT I believe is one.

Lots of threads here about oil so start reading. :cool:

pay attention to this guy, I've been here a long time and can say he knows these cars;)

Personally - my car leaked the Mobil 1 pretty bad, but I have a girdled short block so that may have contributed. I now run Valvoline Racing VR1 10/30 conventional. Whatever you use put zddp in it. Don't skimp.

Synthetic oils causing leaks? No. Not CAUSING them. EXPOSING them is the answer. I used to run a small auto preventative maintenance facility, and oil changes were our biggest business. Here's what's going on.
Natural oils gum up over time, hiding the leaks that are ALREADY PRESENT in your car. When switching to synthetics, they tend to clean some of that burnt crap out, making the oil come out. If you have no leaks already, no oil, or the switching of the types of oil, will cause your car to leak. If you have leaks, that are gummed up already, then yes, maybe a synth will expose them. I say good, now that they're exposed, I can address them now. No problems with me. Bring it on.
As far as which oil to use? Honestly, it doesn't matter man. All you gotta do, is MAKE SURE you use a quality oil filter, and get a good brand name oil, stay on your oil change intervals, and call it a day. Period. You'll be fine.
Change the oil and filter every 3-4000 miles, depending on the quality of your gas, and the air your engine breathes, (that's on you to do your own research on the amount of blowby your rings/boost allow, the amount of dust in your area, and content of your fuel. but to skip all that and make it easier, just do it every 3000 miles)
There's a few oil filter writeups floatin' around google. Get up to speed on that, and you'll discover not necessarily what the end all be all of oil filters are, but you will find out which ones not to use... :)
That, coupled with a good brand name oil, and Bob's your uncle. No real voodoo in this department. If you have leaks, then just address them.
If you don't know the history of that motors internals, and the amount of crap stuck in it, do NOT do an engine flush. Sometimes, they can be too harsh, or knock something loose you don't want loose. Just change your oil/filter with synthetic, every 500 miles 3 or 4 times, and it will be a more gradual cleaning. If you do the old school transmission fluid flush, who knows what can happen. I don't trust it personally.
If not, just do the normal old oil change, and get a scanmaster, oil pressure gauge, and boost gauge, and pay attention to the stuff we have to pay attention to, and you'll be good to go. Keep your eye on knock retard, boost and oil pressure, and she'll live a long healthy life. As far as the mods, that's another section.

I don't know if anyone's tries this one or not but was at the store looking for Valvoline VR-1 10W-30 since I hear it has zddp in it. Didn't see the 10W30 VR-1 in conventional but I did see it in a synthetic....it comes in a black bottle and says VR-1 on it but it's a full synthetic, and it's 10W-30. It also says it has zddp in it like a bottle of conventional VR-1 does. It's also $7.99 a quart, only Royal Purple is a dollar more.

Not sure if anyone's run this black bottle if they have any good or bad to say on it.

The ONLY way I swap to synthetic is on a new motor after about 1000 miles of driving. I have swapped 2 motors over the years from dino oil with some miles on them to mobile 1 and BOTH of them whipped the cam out within a month ! One of them was my buick. Do what you want but I would run rotella in it and drive. It is a great oil and doesn't break your wallet. If you do go synthetic I personally use royal purple in my buick now after the motor build but I also put a roller cam, etc in mine now Daniel

DR BOOST recommends Brad Penn oil;)

Penn Grade 1 High Performance Oil

Considering DR BOOST changes his mind every week on what is best for his car do you seriously trust him? Just recently, he decided he likes his motor outside of the car. This guy changes parts more than his underwear. Then again, he may never change his underwear. I'll stop right there, getting a little off topic.