Which Cam ????

big dre

Just wondering which Cam I can go with my setup te-44, ptc 2800 stall, dutt intercooler, rjc power plate,60lb inj and matching tt chip,lt1 maf -translator. I don't want to bother the heads other than replacing the valve springs and lifters just want to bump up from stock since I have to put a timing chain in it.. Thanks for any advice.. I hear a 206/206 or a 204/214 :confused:

I would leave the stock cam if your heads are stock. Just do the springs. I had a 44 with a stock longblock with alky and the car made good power with boost in the very upper 20's. I'd say you would be waisting your time and money on just changing the cam only.

I would leave the stock cam if your heads are stock. Just do the springs. I had a 44 with a stock longblock with alky and the car made good power with boost in the very upper 20's. I'd say you would be waisting your time and money on just changing the cam only.

^^^

....... I don't want to bother the heads other than replacing the valve springs and lifters just want to bump up from stock since I have to put a timing chain in it.. Thanks for any advice.. I hear a 206/206 or a 204/214 :confused:

This is typical thinking from someone new to turbo cars, especially GN's. :confused:

First of all you will see no gain in performance from the cam change you plan.

What many people, both turbo and NA, fail to understand is it is all about the combination of parts and work to achieve an overall performance level. This is ESPECIALLY true when dealing with forced induction engines.

The one thing you mention that you do NOT want to have done is you "don't want to bother with the heads"?

This is where the power comes from, more air, more fuel, equals more power. That is the one area where you can get more power for the least $$$ expended.

For 25 years we have developed "recipes" of how to efficiently increase performance, and do it with a minimal budget, but the newer generation could care less about history lessons, but they want to break new ground. :rolleyes:

You need to begin where I tell my customers, first determine your performance goal and see if that will fit your budget, not just throw some parts under the hood to go faster. :cool:

If the cam is in good shape, don't fix it. We have guys running high tens on a stock cam. Check it out closely, though. Most have damage. Nothing wrong with sliding in a hydraulic roller, though. Stay in the 210/212 range and you can grow into it with a bigger turbo and heads. Might as well step up with good ported irons, too. You will be amazed at the power they make.

That's true Nick that's y I ask ?? Thanks that makes alot of sense.. Thanks bison,turbofabricator,dpasadena for the info. I'll look into some heads today I just want a 11 second ride ..

That's true Nick that's y I ask ?? Thanks that makes alot of sense.. Thanks bison,turbofabricator,dpasadena for the info. I'll look into some heads today I just want a 11 second ride ..

You can go deep into the 11's with just a good combo of bolt-ons, a good tune, and traction.

You can go deep into the 11's with just a good combo of bolt-ons, a good tune, and traction.

X2 One big thing is make sure you have a good trans. I found that to be one of the biggest things. A good quality trans from one of the vendors on the board will go a long way. At 22-23lbs of boost on a stock motor will get high 11's with a 1.6X 60ft. You just need race gas or alky.

But as others said Heads are one of the best mods. I can run 10.70s on 25lbs with a stock cam and ported stock heads. I think they are one of the best bangs for the buck as long as you can do the work.