Which calipers fit best?

C

coach

Hey Guys,
I want to swap out my factory calipers. Which aftermarket ones fit our spindles and are pretty easy to swap over?

Thanks
:biggrin:

hello; Go to the website called (the turbo ragal web site) and in the brake section there's a title called (the final word on F/disk brakes) he talks alot about brakes. He mentions a couple of ways to go.
IBBY

Thanks. I have drop spindles and just wanted a caliper upgrade.

Coach, I put these on my GN a few years back. SSBC A181R - SSBC Quick-Change Caliper Upgrade Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

If you are looking at keeping stock size rotors these work great. Put stainless braided hoses on at the same time. Have held 12 lbs of boost with little effort. I do however have a Ford 9" rear with 11" drum brakes but the car came with them when I bought it in 1995. Calipers did make a difference though.

I'm running the SSBC stock replacement also. Easy install, may try the 11" upgrade on the other car though just to compare.

Coach, I put these on my GN a few years back. SSBC A181R - SSBC Quick-Change Caliper Upgrade Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

If you are looking at keeping stock size rotors these work great. Put stainless braided hoses on at the same time. Have held 12 lbs of boost with little effort. I do however have a Ford 9" rear with 11" drum brakes but the car came with them when I bought it in 1995. Calipers did make a difference though.

I like that. Thats what I was hoping for.

Thanks Mark

Installed:smile:

Attachments

• newrevs 014.jpg
    newrevs 014.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 460
Hey Mark,
Where did you get the drilled and slotted rotors? I should have put them on a few years ago when I did the drop spindles, but didnt.

My SSBC calipers should be on their way as we speak. I went with GM performance drilled and slotted rotors for mine. I work at a GM dealership so it was fairly cheap ($60 per side) and got some Bilsteins for the front as well as new springs, New H&R motor mounts and the calipers. Everything else is fairly new up there. Looking forward to getting everything in and lookin purdy!

Ssbc

I'm running the SSBC stock replacement also. Easy install, may try the 11" upgrade on the other car though just to compare.

Hey HotAirGN,

I am running SSBC frt brake system I was told by SSBC that I could run my stock wheels. After they were installed my stock wheels rubbed the calipers. I even tried spacers. Did you run across this problem ? I am presently running my 16" GNX style wheels.

I have had my calipers on for a couple years and I noticed at the PRI show in Dec they looked alittle different but were still the same and held the same pad. I have had both an 84GN rim and a 15" 3.5 inch Weld Pro Star on the front with no problems. I can take a flashlight to the inside and see plenty of clearance.

I just installed a set of SSBC on my buddies GN he got the Orange ones. After we bled them car stops very nice and straight. A bit pricey but would recommend. Only issue, I had to remove the metal clip on the brake pad( the one that squeals when the pad gets low) The pads have to go into the caliper exactly straight.
Stock calipers are cut to allow the pad to move a bit.

Easily one of the best ways to upgrade for the money.:biggrin:

If you just want more caliper then go to speedway motors or smileys racing and you can get a direct bolt on caliper with a bigger pistons. Fairly cheap and a little better than stock.:smile:

X2, I did the 11" S10 dual piston Blazer brake upgrade a few months ago, along with stainless brake lines and slotte drotors. The car stops much better the stock brakes.:smile:

Thanks for all the posts about the SSBC. I will be putting them on this winter.

X2, I did the 11" S10 dual piston Blazer brake upgrade a few months ago, along with stainless brake lines and slotte drotors. The car stops much better the stock brakes.:smile:

Question does this setup clear the stock GN wheels for 1987? Thanks