Which 22-23 inch wide screen monitor do you have and do you like it?

Looking into buying a 22-23 inch wide screen monitor and can't decide help please.
Which 22-23 inch wide screen monitor do you have and do you like it?

dammmm... I have a 13" black and white ....oppps...thought you were talking TV's :eek: those monitors look awesome... couldn't think of anything I wanted for Christmas.. now I do !!! yes I do believe in Santa Clause :p

I also have the Samsung Syncmaster 22" and it's the best thing I ever got for my pc. I love it. I also did quite a lot of research before I got mine and all the reviews I read were extremely positive as well. I've had mine since last november and never had a problem. A good friend of mine has the same one and he love's it too.

Not a bad monitor, I have a few Viewsonic LCD monitors at work and the only gripe I have with them is when they are hooked up to DVI they sometimes cant pick up the signal from the video card. A hard reboot of the computer resolves the issue but I would think for the price this wouldnt be an issue (I have seen this with multiple computers).

I have to comment on this person that gave your monitor one egg though.

Cons: Viewsonic clearly lies about the spec of this monitor: Vertical refresh rate: 50Hz - 85Hz. There is absolutely no way you can get the refresh rate up to 85 (FYI, I have tried all graphic cards from 8600GT to two 8800Ultra SLI). I installed the latest drivers and everything, the highest refresh rate you can get is 60. You can get up to 75 with 800X600, but there is absolutely no way to get 85. I bought this monitor in hope I can run games with 85Hz, Viewsonic makes me really disappointed.

Someone needs to go back and read up a bit on LCD technology. There is no refresh in the standard way CRT monitors refresh. This is shown by pointing a digital camera at the screen. If you do this, notice the black line going through the CRT while nothing is happening with the LCD. The reason for this is due to the CRT not having a backlight so each pixel needs to be "refreshed" to keep it lit up so you can see it. The LCD has a backlight that keeps all pixels lit up all the time so the refresh rate reported back from the LCD monitor is really just something so the video card has something to work with. It doesnt matter what it is with an LCD monitor so PLEASE do not take this persons advice. If you are an avid gamer then the most important part of an LCD monitor would be response time. The faster the monitor can respond to the moving pixels on the screen, the less (or no) ghosting or trails you will see. If gaming is not a top priority for you then price and size should be the factor your looking at. Simply editing a document or viewing web pages does not require a fast response time. Viewing movies, playing games, or anything else that can move quickly on or across the screen will be hit directly with a slow response time.

FWIW both this Viewsonic and the Samsung I am writing this out on has a five milisecond response time. This is sufficient for gaming so anything will work well with either of these monitors.

Sorry for the hijack, I work in the software industry and when people bash a product with a complete misunderstanding that a simple search could have resolved just irritates me. :eek:

EDIT - One more thing when looking at LCD monitors. Take note of the Native Resolution of the monitors you are considering. This is important if you have trouble with high resolution on monitors (e.g. 2048x1536 resolution = SMALL everything but MASSIVE desktop real estate). If you view an LCD monitor below its native resolution they will not appear crisp and some can even look so bad text on the screen will be hard to read. Always view an LCD monitor at its native resolution as this is the resolution the manufacturer designed it to work best at. Everyting will appear nicely when viewing at native resolution.

Ok, now I am done with the hijack.

no problem its was a very informative and related HJ
thanks for the info.

it looks like this is the front runner SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor.

unless i can get a better bang for the Dollar.

Accurate color rendition was very important to me when I bought an LCD couple years ago. (notice I said "accurate", and not "looks good" -- a big difference!).

After researching the subject, narrowed down to the Apple Cinema display and Samsung ... finally deciding not to pay the substantially higher cost of the Apple.

The now-discontinued Samsung 213T (21", 1600x1200 native, 8-bit) I have does very well in color accuracy. I profile and calibrate my display using a Monaco Optix-PRO system , and the Samsung routinely achieves an average "delta-E" of less than 2.0. This would require a trained eye, under very controlled ambient light conditions, to discern any difference from the "correct" colors. For reference, a correctly calibrated high-end CRT can achieve the very best color accuracy, delta-E under 1.

The "value-leader" or lower-priced LCD models in anyone's lineup may not be true 8-bit per color, but 6-bit. Watch out!

Many, if not most, notebook PC displays are still 6-bit. For visual examples of what 6-bit color looks like, see:
No, Dave, it’s just you » Blog Archive » How good is your color?

Also, lower priced LCDs may use the trailing edge TN technology instead of more modern IPS or PVA. Again, watch out.\

Finally make sure the native resolution of the LCD is supported by your PC's graphics adapter. Running an LCD at anything other than its native resolution, looks like crap.