Whic Is Better To Use; Header Bolts of Header Studs...

ROYAL_6

Just wondering what you guys are using and what do you reccomend using, header botls of header studs? I have an exhaust leak on the passenger side of my header and im getting ready to replace the gasket... but i just want to make it as bullet proof as possible.... so any advice will be greatly appreciated..... thanks:biggrin:

Get u some felpro 1400's from summit and use bolts. I have never used studs so I really cant say if they would work better or not. I have never had a problem with bolts in 14 years of playing with these cars.:smile:

From what I understand you can't remove the heads in the car if you have studs in, so I am gonna say go with bolts :biggrin:

i can vouch for that boost, when we dropped my engine in there last weekend, man was it tight. im talking like 1/2 inch of clearence between the ac box and the back AND middle header studs. i had arp send me some longer studs for the top so thats why there isnt much room in there.good thing that i put in the solid copper gaskets, they shouldnt blow out. im thinking if i ever have to replace the gaskets/ headers ill have to mount another nut on the stud and pull the stud out. or undo all the mounts and lift the engine up.

oh i see now, i think vortech is talking about HEAD studs, im talking bout HEADER studs

buickbert

i can vouch for that boost, when we dropped my engine in there last weekend, man was it tight. im talking like 1/2 inch of clearence between the ac box and the back AND middle header studs. i had arp send me some longer studs for the top so thats why there isnt much room in there.good thing that i put in the solid copper gaskets, they shouldnt blow out. im thinking if i ever have to replace the gaskets/ headers ill have to mount another nut on the stud and pull the stud out. or undo all the mounts and lift the engine up.

oh i see now, i think vortech is talking about HEAD studs, im talking bout HEADER studs

buickbert

LOL A/C whats that?

haha thats the part of the cars that we use in the winter time here, well not you, but most of us.

buickbert

lmao sorry guys I can't read :p yeah I thought he typed head studs...

That's what I get for trying to type today. I went to work @ 4 am and have been retarded since :D

thanks, i guess ill stick to header bolts.... everyone seems to be runnig these... another question, what header gaskets are you guys running?? i just purchased a SCE Copper gasket, but i went to RJC web site and was reading about there header gaskets, and they seem to be Hell of Good.... has any one ran this SCE Gasket on there car????? thanks.....

im run felpro 1400's never head any leaks and have run them for 8 years now. cant go wrong with these gaskets. if i where to do it again i would try jasons out and see how i like them

studs

looked what showed up today. header studs. :D

Attachments

• DSCF0335.JPG
    DSCF0335.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 232
i have the sce copper gaskets on my new motor so i havent tried them out on the gn, but i also have some on my big block skylark with no problems. i burned through two set of the "grape" before i got the copper ones and like i said no problems.

boost, yup those are the same ones that i put on my car. im not too familiar with the hot air headers but like i said the headers for my 87 require longer studs for the tops. the ones that i got are way too long but they will work fine. lemme see if i have a pic that i can post showing how long they are.

buickbert

no worries i did some research and im going to get out the drimel and take those spacers out except 2 on the drivers side one is a coil mount bracket the other is for the oil dip stick.

i use studs on my gn1 heads with the 1400 gaskets. no leaks ever. thats with atr headers.